Cat Veterinary

Have Cat Questions? Ask a Cat Vet Online.

Ask a Cat Veterinarian,

My cat is 8. not exactly sure, because i have been looking…

Customer Question
Hello...my cat is 8. not...
Hello...my cat is 8. not exactly sure, because i have been looking after her for someone, and well, i just love her to bits.Now...she was on the pill up until 2 weeks ago, and i thought it was safe to take her off it, because it is winter in Sweden, and she is in most of the time, goes out a little bit, and it is dark almost all the time, and i assumed that cats mated more in the warmer months.As it turns out, as of yesterday i think she is on heat and mating.
I think it started 2 days back. She spent the night out, and today she is going out a lot and cleaning herself afterwards, and being very affectionate.So i would like to know if a) it is safe for her to become pregnant and deliver kittens at her age and b) if i were to order her the pill and give it to her now, would safely terminate the pregnancy ?Thank you very much,
Arusha.
Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Cat Veterinary
11/30/2017
Cat Veterinarian: Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian replied 4 months ago
Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian

You're speaking with Dr. Michael Salkin. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm currently typing up my reply. Please be patient. This may take a few minutes.

I understand your concerns, Arusha. Can you clarify which "pill" you've been administering to Eli, please? It's usually either megestrol acetate (Ovaban) or medroxyprogesterone acetate (Depo-Provera). To answer you directly, yes, she's still of the age at which we don't expect significant complications to pregnancy. As for terminating a pregnancy, the traditional mismating treatment has been an estrogen (diethylstilbesterol or estradiol) but estrogens will prolong estrus and are associated with potentially serious adverse effects such as pyometra (infectious endometriosis) and aplastic anemia and so can't be recommended. A single dose of megestrol acetate is reported to prevent implantation of fertilized eggs but I suspect that it's too late for that to occur.

Thank you very much for this information.
I am in Sweden, and the pill Eli's owner has been giving her is Perlutex Vet. 5mg.
I will read up on Megestrol...so, from your words, i gather implantation happens very quickly ?

Thank you. Perlutex is medroxyprogesterone which is considered malpractice to administer to cats - at least in the United States. Too many cats become diabetic when given this hormone. In any event, it mustn't be given to a pet in diestrus - the phase of the heat cycle Eli is currently in.

Implantation occurs about 12-13 days after breeding and so it's questionable if megestrol acetate will be effective at this time. Please continue on in our conversation if you wish.

Thank you for this information...i have been wanting to find better birth control alternatives for Eli,
so in the light of this information, i will definitely look for other options.Seeing as you mentioned that it is safe for her to be pregnant at 8, i think i will let her be and enjoy her pregnancy (if it happens),
and look for good options for her after the pregnancy.Thank you very much for all your help,
Arusha.

You're quite welcome, Arusha. I can't set a follow-up in this venue so please return to our conversation - even after rating - with an update at your convenience. You can bookmark this page for ease of return.

Hi Arusha,

I'm just following up on our conversation about Eli. How is everything going?

Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian