Cat Veterinary

Have Cat Questions? Ask a Cat Vet Online.

Ask a Cat Veterinarian,

Too smart. Won't fall for trick of putting food in a cage.

Customer Question
Too smart. Won't...

Too smart. Won't fall for trick of putting food in a cage. Need to take her to vet. Never been out of house 8 yrs old

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'm sorry to hear that. What is the cat's name?

Char

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Char?

No just never been out of house per say. Have small screened in porch she loves . never been in the car

Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Cat Veterinary
11/30/2017
Cat Veterinarian: Dr. Bruce, Veterinarian replied 4 months ago
Dr. Bruce, Veterinarian

Hello, I'm Dr. Bruce. I have over 17 years of experience as a veterinarian and I'd like to help. Please give me a moment to review your concerns.

Thank you for your question about Char. Are you trying to figure out a way to get her into a carrier? What type do you have? Does it open from the top or from the front?

front, large crate, need to take her to vet. This is not a cat you can pet, ONLY on her terms when she wants to be loved
will not get in pillow case tried capturing her with towel. What drug will mellow here out Benadryl, Valium, a little brandy

Ok. One suggestion I would have is to get a cat carrier that has the ability to open from the top. It is a lot of times easier to get one into one of these it seems. One trick that may work is to lay down a decent sized beach towel on the floor. You can have this near the carrier. On the beach towel, you can place some favorite treats / small amount of food and be right there. When she gets onto the towel to get the food, you can calmly and with ease bring up the edges to help trap her inside of it. You can then lift this and then place it in the carrier.

this cat is 8 yrs old now. Tried lots on things, shes very quick for us old folks, What med would help

There really isn't any medicine that I can recommend that would really help. Another trick, that actually is a very good one, can you have a neighbor / friend / family member come over to help with the placing of her into the carrier?

been there done that, Over 8 yrs we have tried to capture her. She really is nice but just don't get near her. she likes her space from us humans. She tolerates us quite well. Blankets towels pillow cases haven't worked.. Shes special, my neighboor does come feed her at times but you put the food down and get away from her dish.
I think one of her parents was what they call a ferrel cat

The feral component can cause them to be very leery of people. Why are you needing to get her to the vet? Is she's never been there in 8 years, what is going on with her?

Dr. Gary, Cat Veterinarian