Cat Veterinary

Have Cat Questions? Ask a Cat Vet Online.

Ask a Cat Veterinarian,

My cat is 4 years old. 3 days ago she started displaying a…

Customer Question
Hi there, my cat is...
Hi there, my cat is 4 years old. 3 days ago she started displaying a little bit of weird breathing when I hold her and she has a raspy voice. Took her to the vet and they ran blood tests and everything was normal. She is eating still but seems a little sad. She threw up a couple times and went outside her box. The vet said it could be bacteria in the intestines and have antibiotics. I am concerned because she does this burp movement like she is trying to catch her breath and is breathing weird and losing her voice. What else can it be?? This visit was $500 with all they did.
Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Cat Veterinary
The breathing changes when I hold her.
12/1/2017
Cat Veterinarian: CalCatDoc, Cat Veterinarian replied 4 months ago
CalCatDoc
CalCatDoc, Cat Veterinarian

Hi! I'mCustomerand I can help with your question.

Are you available to chat online right now? I will need to pick your brains for a bit to figure out what might be going on.

I notice that your question is from yesterday. Please message me here if you are still interested and the system will alert me. I'll be online for at least another hour this evening.

Good morning, yes I am still interested. I sent a payment through paypal. My cat is being given antibiotics for bacteria, but she is still almost without a voice and her breathing is off at times.

Glad we were able to connect!

Is Missy Doll eating okay?

she is.
She does this like burping movement where she sticks out her neck like she is trying to either swallow or catch her breath.

Has she had any more vomiting?

Did she have a fever when you took her to your vet?

Any sneezing or nasal discharge? Any watery eyes or squinting?

She only vomited 2 times. She went outside liter box once and it was almost slimy. She didn't have a fever when she went to the vet, however the night before she seemed really hot to me. No sneezing, no nasal discharge, and no watery eyes or squinting.

Well let me tell you what comes to mind as the most likely problem.

The altered voice and strange movement when she swallows are very characteristic of a sore throat which we most commonly see with the upper respiratory virus called Feline Herpesvirus (FHV).

FHV is the most common upper resp virus in cats and is the one that virtually all cats catch from mom as small kittens. As a herpesvirus, once you have it, you are stuck with it, just like humans with cold sores from our own herpesvirus. Some cats will never be bothered by it, some only once or rarely, and some are forever having problems.

Now, as a virus, FHV is not affected by antibiotics, but it has been my experience that when kitties get laryngitis from it, secondary bacterial infection is common, so when that happens I do like them antibiotics. But it is NOT the primary treatment.

What antibiotic is she currently on?

"ON antibiotics"

Are you still there? I was going to continue with my recommendation.

You can ignore the message about additional services. We don't have to do that.

I will be in surgery for the next couple of hours but you can reply here and the system will alert me so we can pick up the conversation where we left off when I am available again. Sorry for the inconvenience.

Thank you!! I am at work that is why I could not respond. I am going to look at the meds she is on and let you know.

Okay. Me, too. Done with surgeries but now getting lunch soon.

Dr. Gary, Cat Veterinarian