Cat Veterinary

Have Cat Questions? Ask a Cat Vet Online.

Ask a Cat Veterinarian,

I have a 7 year old cat. Over the last couple of weeks he's…

Customer Question
Hi! I have a...

Hi! I have a 7 year old cat. Over the last couple of weeks he's started meowing a lot (he never really has before), and throwing up here and there. I changed his food, but that doesn't seem to have helped. We are mid-move and selling our house, so there have been a lot of strangers in and out which I'm sure is stressful for him (in addition to us taking away a lot of furniture and hiding places). Should I take him into the vet to get looked at?

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'm sorry to hear that. Hopefully it didn't make a mess. Did the cat eat anything unusual?

Not that I know of. He's an indoor cat too

Veterinarian's Assistant: OK. The Expert will know what to do. What is the cat's name?

Jack

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Jack?

Nope, he's always been healthy!

Submitted: 6 months ago.Category: Cat Veterinary
11/30/2017
Cat Veterinarian: Dr B, Cat Veterinarian replied 6 months ago
Dr B
Dr B, Cat Veterinarian

HI this is DRB and i would be happy to help you with this....

Yes, this does need to be checked out by your vet....and what needs specifically to be done is a good full exam along with a CBC, chem panel, lyte panel, felv/fiv/heartworm, T4 function and urinalysis...this is basic bloodwork for what you have described....and in most cases will identify the problem...the next step if this is all normal would be xrays or ultrasound (preferably ultrasound) of the abdomen. My concern would be first hyperthyroid disease but this could also be any metabolic or inflammatory condition such as inflammatory bowel disease. But yes absolutely this should be checked out with the above tests. Please let me know if you have additional questions. Sincerely, DRB

sincerely ***** ***** I have helped you, and that I have earned my 5 star rating today! Please remember to rate my service by selecting the 5 stars at the top of the screen (rating me now does not close your question). We can continue here until you are satisfied, simply use the reply box and let me know.

Please remember my answers do not replace or supersede the advice of your veterinarian as my answers do not create a valid client patient relationship as I am unable to examine your pet. Thank you very much! DrB

Please let me know if you have additional questions as I check my computer nightly and will be happy to get back to you. DRB

Can I answer any other questions or assist you in any way?

All good, just scheduled an appointment!

excellent....let me know if you need additional help. This question will stay open for several days.

If you don't mind rating me as well I would greatly appreciate it. DRB

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Dr B