Cat Veterinary

Have Cat Questions? Ask a Cat Vet Online.

Ask a Cat Veterinarian,

My cat has a leaky bottom, licks it constantly, and really…

Customer Question
My cat has a...

My cat has a leaky bottom, licks it constantly, and really stinks.

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'm sorry to hear that. What is the cat's name and age?

Bad Kitty, about 8 years.

Veterinarian's Assistant: What is the kitten's name?

I think you are replying to someone else on my chat

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about your kitten?

She is about 8 years old. She started out licking her rear alot, then it seemed raw and leaky. She is suffering socially because of the smell.

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Cat Veterinary
Answered in 1 minute by:
11/30/2017
Cat Veterinarian: Dr B, Cat Veterinarian replied 7 months ago
Dr B
Dr B, Cat Veterinarian

Hi this is DRB and I would be happy to help you...

I suspect your kitty has anal gland problems...this is not super common in cats but it does happen and most of the time can be related to a food allergy.....I would recommend that you purchase Prescription diet science diet ZD low allergen food and do a 16 week food trial with your kitty and see if this clears up the problem. This will work about 90% of the time...if this does not work then you will need to find a vet that will remove your kitty's anal glands. I had a cat with this problem once and the food did the trick for her.....but it is very important to note that they cannot have any other foods of any kind and no treats.... otherwise this will not work.....

I hope this helps you but let me know if you have any questions at all....also if your kitty will not eat this food ( which is rare) then you cannot fast a cat due to potential for liver problems....and you will have to speak with your vet about another food....DRB

sincerely ***** ***** I have helped you, and that I have earned my 5 star rating today! Please remember to rate my service by selecting the 5 stars at the top of the screen (rating me now does not close your question). We can continue here until you are satisfied, simply use the reply box and let me know.

Please remember my answers do not replace or supersede the advice of your veterinarian as my answers do not create a valid client patient relationship as I am unable to examine your pet. Thank you very much! DrB

Please let me know if you have additional questions as I check my computer nightly and will be happy to get back to you. DRB