Cat Veterinary

Have Cat Questions? Ask a Cat Vet Online.

Ask a Cat Veterinarian,

My cat has an itchy red eye with watery discharge, he keeps…

Customer Question
My cat has an...

My cat has an itchy red eye with watery discharge, he keeps sneezing and caughing and also Gipping as thought hes going to throw up.. He doesn't let us pick him up aswell.. He was fine this morning

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'm sorry to hear that. Hopefully it didn't make a mess. Did your cat eat anything unusual?

No only his cat food

Veterinarian's Assistant: What is the cat's name and age?

Bruno and he is one and a half

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Bruno?

He tends to get out of breath really fast and eats quiet a lot

Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Cat Veterinary
11/29/2017
Cat Veterinarian: petdrz, Veterinarian replied 4 months ago
petdrz
petdrz, Veterinarian

Hello. Welcome to JustAnswer. I am Dr Z. I'm reviewing your question now, and will post back with a reply ASAP.

Thanks for trusting me to help you and Bruno today. I am a licensed veterinarian with over 30 years of experience and would be happy work with you.

The respiratory signs you are describing are suspicious of a viral upper respiratory flare up. Cats can get upper respiratory infections, even if they are indoor cats and their vaccines are current. Most of the time they are viral in nature and herpes virus is one of the most often culprits. Most cats have been exposed to herpes at some time in their lives, and when they are, the virus never leaves their body and stays there in a latent form (kind of like people with cold sores). It can flare up in times of stress, and the stress may not even be perceived by us. When they have a flare up, it is usually only with mild signs, kind of like what you are describing with Bruno. Of course there are other causes for inflammed eyes with discharge, including trauma or a scratch to the cornea, but the fact that he is sneezing and coughing also, makes a viral infection more suspicious. Since he is still eating, and this just started today, I think you can monitor until tomorrow unless he seems in distress with his breathing.

There are a few other things you can do to help.

1) If he is building up mucus, use a cotton ball moistened with warm water to wipe away crust and mucus. Use saline nasal drops (like Ocean Mist) but not anything medicated. Tilt the head back and drop two to three drops in one nostril. Cats hate this, but it helps. After the drops go down, you can let the head up and wipe away any discharge that gets loosened. Then repeat with the other nostril.

2) Steam treatments to relieve congestion is helpful also. Run a hot shower with the door closed to get the room steamy and then leave him in there for 5-10 min. You can do this a few times a day.

3) Over the counter antihistamines to help with sneezing and runny nose. The product called Chlor-trimaton® which is the brand name for the generic medication called chlorpheneramine is safe to use. A dose of 2mg given once or twice a day is fine.

If the discharge turns yellow of green, that is usually a sign that bacteria are involved and a course of antibiotics are needed. The antibiotics will not get rid of the virus, but will get the bacteria hopefully under control so the cat's immune system can get the virus back in check.

I hope this is helpful. Please let me know if you have ANY other questions. My goal is to give you 100% satisfaction and if you are not yet satisfied, please reply so I can clarify for you.

My posted replies are for general education only and not meant as a diagnosis. Only after a thorough veterinary examination can a diagnosis for your pet be made and specific treatments be advised or medications be prescribed.

Dr Z

petdrz
petdrz
petdrz, Veterinarian