Cat Veterinary

Have Cat Questions? Ask a Cat Vet Online.

Ask a Cat Veterinarian,

My cat had a watery eye that lasted for a few hours but she…

Customer Question
Hi! My cat had...

Hi! My cat had a watery eye that lasted for a few hours but she is acting fine and there was no gunk or discoloration around her eye, I wanted to know if I should take her to the vet.

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. What is wrong with your cat?

She has a watery eye

Veterinarian's Assistant: Where does your cat seem to hurt?

Her eye

Veterinarian's Assistant: OK. What is the cat's name and age?

Sakura, 1

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Cat Veterinary
11/29/2017
Cat Veterinarian: petdrz, Veterinarian replied 7 months ago
petdrz
petdrz, Veterinarian

Hello. Welcome to JustAnswer. I am Dr Z. I'm reviewing your question now, and will post back with a reply ASAP.

Thanks for trusting me to help you and Sakura today. I am a licensed veterinarian with over 30 years of experience and would be happy work with you but need a bit more information to better assist you if you don’t mind.

Is she squinting or rubbing the eye at all?

Has this ever happened in the past?

Has it only been going on for a few hours?

She is squinting but no rubbing and it did happen in the past for one day but it cleared up. It lasted for around half a day, this morning she was fine

It is a very common occurrence in cats to have these kind of low grade intermittent signs that wax and wane all on their own. Frequently, many of these cats have had a previous herpes viral infection, and while the symptoms of the initial infection have resolved, the virus never clears from their body and periodically will manifest with mild symptoms that often resolve on their own like Sakura's symptoms. (This is the same situation as with human Herpes virus and cold sores). Viral flare ups usually affect both eyes, but can occur only in one eye. Of course, there are other causes of eye discharge including scratches or trauma to the surface of the eye. If her eye discharge does not clear up on it's own in a day or two or if the discharge starts to turn yellow or green, which can mean that bacteria are now involved, she should definitely by evaluated by her veterinarian.

I hope this is helpful. Please let me know if you have ANY other questions. My goal is to give you 100% satisfaction and if you are not yet satisfied, please reply so I can clarify for you.

My posted replies are for general education only and not meant as a diagnosis. Only after a thorough veterinary examination can a diagnosis for your pet be made and specific treatments be advised or medications be prescribed.

Dr Z

Thank you! I really appreciate this!