Cat Veterinary

Have Cat Questions? Ask a Cat Vet Online.

Ask a Cat Veterinarian,

She started crying really really loud at night about a month…

Customer Question
Hi. She started crying...

Hi. She started crying really really loud at night about a month ago, figured she was just being a baby to get Mommy to pick her up which of course I do but a few days ago we realized it seems she may be hvg vision problems. Her pupils are massively dilated and since we've realized that she can barely see. She received a second steroid injection for these breathing issues she started hvg about a year ago. Sounding like she was hvg an asthma attack or worse. The shit helped her to breath normally but the second one tho it helped like the first but she was fine before that vision wise and seemingly over night has gone blind. I thought maybe the shots could hv caused this.

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'm sorry to hear that. The noise must be worrying. I'll connect you to the Veterinarian. What is the cat's name and age?

Wow thank you! Her name is ***** ***** she's about.... Fourteen. We rescue so don't always know for certain but we're told she was for when we took her home a little over ten years ago.

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Bootsie?

I can't think of anything?... Oh, she's got bad dandruff or skin flakes. I brush her a lot which she loves but even tried some Virgin organic coconut oil small amount I made into her skin but it's gotten worse since the vision thing.

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Cat Veterinary
11/29/2017
Cat Veterinarian: Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian replied 7 months ago
Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian

You're speaking with Dr. Michael Salkin. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm currently typing up my reply. Please be patient. This may take a few minutes.

I'm sorry to hear of this with Bootsie. You're likely to be seeing evidence of blindness due to retinal hemorrhage +/- detachment often due to hypertension at Bootsie's age. The hypertension may be idiopathic (unknown cause) but also due to hyperthyroidism or chronic renal insufficiency in elderly cats. Bootie's vet will want to thoroughly examine Bootsie paying particular attention to the back of her eyes where the light-sensitive retina is found. Diagnostics in the form of blood and urine tests will be recommended. Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.

Thank you so much! I truly appreciate it! I feel horrible because she started crying really really loud just sitting on the kitchen counter top and I would tell her to stop. I didn't notice she could not see until a few days ago. I will make an appt with the vet. Thank you again! God bless you!!!

You're quite welcome. I can't set a follow-up in this venue so please return to our conversation - even after rating - with an update at your convenience. You can bookmark this page for ease of return.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?