Cat Veterinary

Have Cat Questions? Ask a Cat Vet Online.

Ask a Cat Veterinarian,

I use pretty liter and she went pee twice now and it was…

Customer Question
I use pretty liter...

I use pretty liter and she went pee twice now and it was Blue. Also I just take a look at her this morning and her gums seem to be swollen in her lower mouth. Like bulbs.

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'm sorry to hear that. What is the cat's name and age?

Birdie and 4

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Birdie?

No, not that I am aware of.

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Cat Veterinary
11/28/2017
Cat Veterinarian: PitRottMommy, Veterinary Nurse replied 7 months ago
PitRottMommy
PitRottMommy, Veterinary Nurse

Hello, JACustomer. I have been a Veterinary Nurse for over 15 years and would be happy to help you today. I'm reviewing your question right now.

Good afternoon, JACustomer.

Pretty Litter is meant to determine if the urine a cat passes is of proper pH. The blue indicates that her urine is alkaline and that she likely has a urinary tract infection. She needs an examination to see how alkaline her urine is and if there are any other abnormalities in her urine, such as blood, bacteria or crystals. The swollen gums will need to be examined by your vet, as well, as she may have periodontal disease and need a dental cleaning. A course of antibiotics for the urine and her mouth, as well, may be indicated which your vet can prescribe during her physical examination.

I hope this information has been helpful. I will be standing by if you have other questions. Let me know if I can help further. Also, before signing off today, please take the time to use the star rating system at the top of the page to leave a rating for me (bottom of the page if using the app). A 5-star rating is appreciated as top notch answers are my focus. If you feel you have received anything less, please reply so that I may help until you’ve received the assistance you need. Until you issue a rating, the website will not compensate me for helping you. You will still be able to chat with me even after issuing a rating at no further charge on this thread.

I will also check in with you over the next few days to be sure you don’t need any additional assistance. If you would like to request me in the future for pet-related questions, you can do so by accessing this page: http://www.justanswer.com/pet/expert-pitrottmommy/?rpt=3800

Checking in. How is your companion feeling today?