Cat Veterinary

Have Cat Questions? Ask a Cat Vet Online.

Ask a Cat Veterinarian,

Tommy has not been doing well at all. He continued eating…

Customer Question
Tommy has not been doing...

Tommy has not been doing well at all. He continued eating little other than the gravy from the "Gravy Lovers" cat food and, if that was not bad enough, he ate less of it every day. He lost a fair amount of weight as a consequence. Then, strangely enough, as I was getting ready to take him to the vet, he started eating again, in fact, he did so as if he was really enjoying it. It is close to 1 pm and he has already eaten four times. I don't know what to think. Is there such a disease where the cat goes for periods eating very little, then eats too much? I am reluctant to take Tommy to the vet. Because he is 16 years old, I am afraid that she may tell me that there is nothing that she can do, perhaps even suggest that we put him down. I just could not do that.

Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Cat Veterinary
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call + Local Veterinarian Recommendations. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
11/29/2017
Cat Veterinarian: Dr. Meghan Denney, Cat Veterinarian replied 4 months ago
Dr. Meghan Denney
Dr. Meghan Denney, Cat Veterinarian

Hi, I am Dr. Denney. I am currently reviewing your post now. Please give me a few minutes to type my response. Thank you for trusting us with your question. This service is used for general information only and is no substitute for a veterinarian-patient relationship by examination.

There are some common conditions that cats can get as they age.

1. Hyperthyroidism: this is where the thyroid glands produce too much thyroid hormone and as a result the cat's metabolism skyrockets. This causes them to have voracious appetites and yet lose weight. This is a very treatable disease if caught early enough to avoid too much weight being lost. There is a blood test that checks for this. There are oral medications, compounded chews or transdermal medications that can be used to treat this condition as well as surgical options.

2. Older cats can also develop kidney disease or kidney dysfunction where their kidneys fail to conserve water and fail to remove toxins in the blood stream. As a result, these cats often are very fond of their water and also urinate more and can go through periods of inappetence when the kidney values elevate enough to make them feel nauseated ( so they stop eating). This disease cannot be cured, but it can be managed with diet changes, therapies at home, supplements etc. Blood work and a urine need to be done to stage the kidney disease and figure out the best course of treatment.

3. Unfortunately, the last possibility in an older kitty is cancer. Cancer can present with any symptoms and can be hard to diagnose without blood work and some abdominal or chest imaging ( X-rays or ultrasound). Some cancer is able to be managed for a little while with conservative therapy. This is dependent on what type and how extensive the disease is.

The best recommendation I can make for Tommy is that he needs to be seen and examined by a veterinarian so we can start figuring this out and see if we can help keep him with you for as long as possible. Unfortunately, waiting can make diseases much worse and can limit the options he will have for treatment. I know it is scary, but I can see how much you care about him from your text above. Figuring out what is wrong is the first step to getting him better and making sure he can live for as long as he can. We often imagine the worse, but that is not always the case.

I hope this helps give you insight on what this could be and how it is so important that he be seen by a veterinarian as soon as possible so we can get this figured out and get whatever is going on under control. Fighting the battle requires knowing what we are fighting.

Good luck with Tommy. Try to stay positive. Try not to worry until we know you have something to worry about.

If this was helpful I would be most appreciative if you could take the time to rate my assistance so the site will credit me with helping you

Without a rating (the stars at the top) the site will not compensate me for helping you.

I am also here for additional questions you may have, just reach out to me here and I will be more than happy to assist you.

Kind regards,

Dr. Meghan Denney

This Content is not intended to be a substitute for a professional veterinary exam, diagnostics, diagnosis, or treatment. Always seek the advice of your attending veterinarian with any questions you may have regarding a medical condition of a pet.

Hi Laura,
I'm just following up on our conversation about Tommy. How is everything going?
Dr. Meghan Denney

I never heard back how is Tommy? I was thinking about you guys and wanted to check in

Dr. Meghan Denney
Dr. Meghan Denney
Dr. Meghan Denney, Cat Veterinarian