Cat Veterinary

Have Cat Questions? Ask a Cat Vet Online.

Ask a Cat Veterinarian,

My cat haven't been using the litter box for a few months…

Customer Question
Hi! My cat haven't...

Hi! My cat haven't been using the litter box for a few months now and the vet said it's not health related. I was just wondering if there's anything we can do

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'm sorry to hear that. What is the cat's name and age?

His name is ***** ***** he is almost 8

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Raj?

The last time we took him to the vet, the vet prescribed him some pain meds for his minor hip problem. He was using the litter box while he was on the meds. But then he stopped using the litter box again.

Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Cat Veterinary
11/28/2017
Cat Veterinarian: Scott Perry, Cat Veterinarian replied 8 months ago
Scott Perry
Scott Perry, Cat Veterinarian

Hello. My name is***** and I am a veterinarian that can answer your question. I understand Raj is not using the litter box. Your veterinarian said it is not health related. Does that mean he performed a urine test and found no abnormalities? You also mentioned Raj was taking pain medications for his hip pain. Is Raj still taking this medication and what medication is it?

the vet tested his urine, and it didn't show any abnormalities. Raj is not on the pain meds anymore. He was on it for 3 days in October.

Not using the litter box can be associated with pain, so it is possible the hip issue is needing to be treated again. The other option for not using the litter box is from anxiety or a negative association. I will write about that next. Please bear with me a few minutes.

Okay! Thank you. We have tried using multiple litter boxes, getting him calming supplements to reduce his stress and anxiety. We also trimmed down the edge of the litter box so he can get in it easily. However, he still goes typically on the bed

Litter box aversion is a problem seen in cats if there is a negative association with the box. If something stressful happened when Raj was using the box then he may be connecting this emotional feeling with anxiety and not wanting to use the box anymore. The best solution for this is to have multiple boxes in places that are not associated with prior stress and away from high traffic areas or places where there may be a sudden noise (i.e. doorways, water heaters, washing machine, etc.). It may also help to experiment with other litter types because the aversion to the box might be because of the litter itself. He may just prefer the bedding or other materials he is urinating on (i.e. carpet, rugs) more than the litter. You could test this by having bedding material in one of the litter boxes as well as other litter types to see which one he prefers. Feliway is an over-the-counter product that can be helpful to decreasing anxiety, but if he has an established anxiety then that will not likely be effective. I would try the approach with other litter boxes and litter types, as well as getting back on a pain medication to see if that improves the condition.

I sincerely ***** ***** I have helped you, and that I have earned my 5 star rating today! Please remember to rate my service by selecting the 5 stars at the top of the screen ( rating me now does not close your question). We can continue here until you are satisfied, simply use the reply box and let me know. Thank you!