Cat Veterinary

Have Cat Questions? Ask a Cat Vet Online.

Ask a Cat Veterinarian,

Stopped eating abt a week ago, will drink from dripping

Customer Question
Stopped eating abt a...

Stopped eating abt a week ago, will drink from dripping faucet, very weak now but can still jump up on bed & table, reddish orange urine when she finally urinates now. Abt 6 yrs old, not current with vaccines.

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'm sorry to hear that. Strange behavior is often perplexing. I'm sure the Veterinarian can help you. What is the cat's name?

Smooch & she's an indoor cat. The night before she chewed on a plastic bag, which she consently does if a plastic grocery bag is left out.

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about the cat?

No, I don't think so.

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Cat Veterinary
11/28/2017
Cat Veterinarian: Dr. Kara, Veterinarian replied 7 months ago
Dr. Kara
Dr. Kara, Veterinarian

Hello, I'm Dr. Kara. I have over 20 years of experience as a veterinarian and I'd like to help. Please give me a moment to review your concerns.

I am very sorry to hear about Smooch's lack of appetite, weakness and reddish-orange urine.

I understand that this started after she chewed on a plastic bag.

My primary concern would be that she ingested pieces of the bag which led to an obstruction. Is she passing any stool? Is she vomiting? If she never vomited it is possible that the bag wasn't the true issue, but rather she was chewing on and eating nonfood items due to nausea or some sort of underlying illness (this behavior is called pica).

However the reddish-orange urine indicates that she may have high levels of bilirubin in her urine. That could be due to pri***** *****ver disease, or to a secondary type of liver disease called hepatic lipidosis. Hepatic lipidosis (or fatty liver disease) is caused by overwhelming the liver with fats broken down for energy to live when they don't eat. Although it is a secondary disease it can be deadly if not aggressively treated.

She needs to see her veterinarian as soon as possible. As sick as she is she is beyond home care.

She should have a thorough examination and basic blood tests including a complete blood count, biochemistry profile and T-4 (thyroid level check), and radiographs or an ultrasound of her abdomen to look for signs of obstruction.

In the meantime I recommend an appetite stimulant (mirtazapine) but also get out the stinkiest cat food you can find and warm it and add warm water/broth to it. We need to stimulate her appetite and improve her eating experience. If she isn't eating well her electrolyte levels will be off and she will be weak so fluids are a great idea too. If she continues not to eat and no signs of an obstruction are seen an esophageal feeding tube should be placed until we can figure out why she isn't eating and treat the underlying issues.

At home now since she is refusing to eat and may be nauseous to try and settle her stomach you can give either:
1)Pepcid ac (famotidine) at a dose of 1/4 of a 10mg tablet per 5 to 10 pounds of body weight every 12 hours
OR
2)Prilosec (omeprazole) at dose of 1/4 of a 20mg tablet per 10 to 20 pounds of body weight every 24 hours
These are acid reducers and could help her feel less nauseous, and thus more likely to eat. These medications are quite safe and can be used long term if they help her feel better.

Please let me know if you have any further questions.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?
Dr. Kara

Hello, I wanted to make sure that you didn't have any further questions for me, and I'd like to know how things turned out for your kitty. If you could give me an update that would be great, thank you, ***** *****