Cat Veterinary

Have Cat Questions? Ask a Cat Vet Online.

Ask a Cat Veterinarian,

My 14 year old cat used to be 10 pounds and now weighs 5.

Customer Question
My 14 year old...

My 14 year old cat used to be 10 pounds and now weighs 5. She has had blood test, xray, ultrasound and kidney culture. All were negative. She is not eating and her hind legs are now paralyzed. She drinking a little water and tries using the litter box but has just a little elimination.is it her time? This is such a hard decision.

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'm sorry to hear that. What is the cat's name?

Bella

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Bella?

She is alert, sleeps alert. Has hidden twice today behind the couch. Meows when trying to move.

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Cat Veterinary
Answered in 1 hour by:
11/28/2017
Cat Veterinarian: Dr. Gary, Cat Veterinarian replied 7 months ago
Dr. Gary, Cat Veterinarian

Hello, I'm Dr Gary. I've been practicing veterinary medicine since 2007. I look forward to helping with your questions/ concerns.

I'm sorry to hear about Bella.

I do think it's probably time to consider end of life decisions. The fact that she's not using the hind legs, she's continuing to lose weight and you have ruled out the treatable things- it is time.

The likely cause here is Lymphoma. It's the most common cancer in cats. We don't have a blood test to diagnose it. If it's infiltrative in the organs, then we don't see it with x-ray or ultrasound. You need biopsy samples to diagnose it. The most common sign we see is progressive weight loss in the face of normal bloodwork. It also likes to move to the spinal cord, so the hind limb weakness also fits.

I'm sorry you're in this situation. Let me know if you have any other questions.

Thank you for your understanding,g. My daughter is in the medical profession and summized that too. I just needed someone to tell me as the vet I'm going to is evasive. Of course my heart is breaking and wondering why and how this happened. I guess the only other question is when? I have been syringe feeding her but the last couple of days she really dislikes it.

Honestly, any time now. Once they're at the point of not walking and not eating on their own- that's when it's time.

Thank you for the information, honesty and your compassion. She is a sweet kitty and as you know from the others you consul my heart is breaking. I'm glad I found this site and you.

You're welcome.

I'm sorry again for your situation. I know how hard it is to come to that decision. Just remember, it's the last gift you can give her- to pass peacefully and pain free.