Cat Veterinary

Have Cat Questions? Ask a Cat Vet Online.

Ask a Cat Veterinarian,

My cat disappeared for four days. When we found him hiding…

Customer Question
My cat disappeared for...

My cat disappeared for four days. When we found him hiding in a neighbour’s garden, he cried loudly when I carried him and when I put him down his back legs appeared to collapse. He was severely dehydrated and drank two bowls of water but was still unable to move more than a few steps. He had fouled himself. While washing him I discovered a large hole near his anus, leaking pus. It appeared to be a ruptured abscess. I washed that out by syringing it with disinfectant diluted in water. No more pus appeared. At the advice of a vet telephonically ( we live rurally and a few hours drive from a vet) I started him on a course of antibiotics- 50mg of amoxicillin and clavulanic acid. He has deteriorated significantly overnight, crying out, unable to work, urinating where he lies and he is emitting a foul odor. Could he be in septic shock?

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'm sorry to hear that. The noise must be worrying. I'll connect you to the Veterinarian. What is the cat's name?

Walk, not work!

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about your cat?

He is approximately 15 years of age and has been treated for abscesses before as we have a feral male in the neighborhood who fights with him

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Cat Veterinary
Answered in 1 hour by:
11/28/2017
Cat Veterinarian: Dr. Gary, Cat Veterinarian replied 7 months ago
Dr. Gary, Cat Veterinarian

Hello, I'm Dr Gary. I've been practicing veterinary medicine since 2007. I look forward to helping with your questions/ concerns.

I'm sorry to hear about your cat.

I'm pretty worried about some type of spinal cord damage here, or potentially a stroke to the rear legs (called saddle thrombus). A simple anal gland abscess or wound abscess wouldn't cause those neurologic signs to the rear legs. That is coming from further up the spinal canal.

Septic shock usually leads to generalized weakness and a low blood glucose. It's possible, but less of my concern given those signs.

Unfortunately, I do think you should go to a vet where they can evaluate him. Your at home therapies, while great, are not likely to resolve this. If it's spinal cord trauma or a stroke, it may be best to euthanize as the chance of recovery is quite poor.

Best of luck with him. Let me know if you have any other questions.