Cat Veterinary

Have Cat Questions? Ask a Cat Vet Online.

Ask a Cat Veterinarian,

I have a 5-6 wk kitten that overate wet food this morning.

Customer Question
I have a 5-6...

I have a 5-6 wk kitten that overate wet food this morning. He's been very lethargic and won't drink. I haven't seen any voiding. He tries but can't?

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'm sorry to hear that. Could be a lot of things that cause lethargy. The Expert will know how to help the kitten. What is the kitten's name?

Oliver

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Oliver?

I've had him for 3wks. I've been giving him replacement formula and recently wet food for baby kittens

Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Cat Veterinary
11/28/2017
Cat Veterinarian: Candy, Veterinary Technician replied 8 months ago
Candy
Candy, Veterinary Technician

Hello, My name is Candy
Thank you for allowing me to assist you today. I am reviewing your question and will be right with you.

Is this a stray kitten or do you also have the mother?

When did he last pass stool?

Has he been dewormed?

How often is he getting the replacement milk?

What color are his gums?

Was this morning the last time he ate?

Stray
Yesterday I believe.
No.
Had been getting it about every 3hrs. Less in the past few days because of the solid foods.
I have to check his gums.
Yes, this morning around 8am.

Thank you. Please let me know when you check his gums and I will begin typing up your answer while you are doing that.

His gums are light pink

Replacement formula is known for causing constipation. I do TNR and kitten rescue on the side and we see this problem in about half of our bottle fed kitties.

At this age the formula is no longer needed and I would discontinue and just offer water at this point.

That said another common problem we see is constipation due to intestinal worms. Kittens are born with worms so they do need to be dewormed every 3 weeks for a series of 3 deworming. Pyrantal based dewormers are the safest for kittens. Nemex is a common over the counter dewormer.

Since he has not eaten since this morning I would try rubbing a little caro or pancake syrup on his gums to elevate his blood glucose levels and see if that helps with the lethargy. You can try a few drops of mineral oil or 1/4 of a teaspoon of Mirlax in canned food to see if this gets him going. If you do not have that you can offer 1 Tablespoon of whole cows milk. Most cats are lastose intolerant and cows milk will loosen the stools.

Cats who eat a lot of canned food will often decrease their drinking so that in itself is not to concerning. The lethergy could be due to constipation as well.

One concern I do have to warn you about is a problem called fading kitten syndrome. Survival rate of kittens born to stray moms is only 60% and when taken from the mother that decreases. Many kittens will do fine until the 4-6 week mark and then decline suddenly. I know that is scary but it happens so often and so fast that I want you to be aware that he could decline.

For tonight I would try Milk, mineral oil or Mirlax to get him going. If this does not work the last option would be a infant suppository that is made with Glycerin only.

Discontinue the formula and get him dewormed as soon as possible.

Mix the canned food with a little bit of water.

If he does not eat tonight then I would try some baby food chicken or beef just be sure there are no onion or garlic in the ingredients.

If he goes another day without passing stool, he does not eat by tomorrow afternooon or he declines in any way then I would have him seen by a vet.

I hope this helps give you some options to help this baby. Please reply back if you have additional questions and I will be happy to continue. If you have no additional questions please take a few moments to provide a rating to close out the question.

Candy

Hello. I just wanted to check in and see how you kitten was doing.

Hello. Oliver seems to be doing better. I've stopped the replacement milk. He's getting wet food and water now. I did take him to the vet for a check and deworming. This morning he was more like his old self.

Yay I am so happy to hear he is doing better, I was worried about the little guy.

Thank you for taking the time to update me.Give him a good head scratch from me.

Candy

Please take a few moments to provide a rating to end our session.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Candy