Cat Veterinary

Have Cat Questions? Ask a Cat Vet Online.

Ask a Cat Veterinarian,

I can’t tell if she is constipated, has a UTI, or both.

Customer Question
I can’t tell if...

I can’t tell if she is constipated, has a UTI, or both. She’s having some trouble going and is peeing on my clothes. She just tried to poop in her litter box and it was just tiny. She is now hiding under the bed which is very uncharacteristic of her

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'm sorry to hear that. What sort of animal are we talking about?

She’s a cat

Veterinarian's Assistant: OK. Strange behavior is often perplexing. I'm sure the Veterinarian can help you. What is the cat's name and age?

Zoe, she’s 17

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Zoe?

I don’t think so. She’s still a spry cat. She was the runt So she’s small

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Cat Veterinary
She’s now walking around peeing little drips on anything soft
11/28/2017
Cat Veterinarian: PitRottMommy, Veterinary Nurse replied 7 months ago
PitRottMommy
PitRottMommy, Veterinary Nurse

Hello, JACustomer. I have been a Veterinary Nurse for over 15 years and would be happy to help you today. I'm reviewing your question right now.

I am very sorry to see that none of our other Experts have reached out to you before now. I just came online and found that your question had not been addressed. How is your companion at this time? When did Zoe last receive blooodwork and a urinalysis? Is she eating and drinking well?

It's probably been a year. She's a very healthy cat. She seems fine this morning so I'm just waiting for my regular vet to call

The fact that she's urinating on anything soft is highly suspect for a UTI but might also be linked to kidney disease. Your girl is 17 years of age and, as such, she's a senior cat. We often do see organ involvement such as liver disease, kidney disease, diabetes, pancreatitis, thyroid conditions, etc. in the older feline population. I believe your companion would do best with a urinalysis and bloodwork to determine the cause of her symptoms. If kidney disease might be present, this could explain why she's having difficulty passing stool and it's very compact. If she were my own cat, I would give a dose of laxatone once daily to help loosen the bowels mildly or even 1 tsp of milk twice daily (for the same mild laxative effect) to help with the difficulty defecating. Depending on what your vet finds on diagnostics will determine the course of treatment. This may range from just a course of antibiotics to a few days of hospitalization on IV fluids, antibiotic therapy, enemas, etc.

I hope this information has been helpful. I will be standing by if you have other questions. Let me know if I can help further. Also, before signing off today, please take the time to use the star rating system at the top of the page to leave a rating for me (bottom of the page if using the app). A 5-star rating is appreciated as top notch answers are my focus. If you feel you have received anything less, please reply so that I may help until you’ve received the assistance you need. Until you issue a rating, the website will not compensate me for helping you. You will still be able to chat with me even after issuing a rating at no further charge on this thread.

I will also check in with you over the next few days to be sure you don’t need any additional assistance. If you would like to request me in the future for pet-related questions, you can do so by accessing this page: http://www.justanswer.com/pet/expert-pitrottmommy/?rpt=3800

Checking in. How is Zoe today?

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?
PitRottMommy
Hi, thanks for reaching out. We saw the vet and it’s her kidneys. Going on a special diet starting tomorrow.Thanks again!