Cat Veterinary

Have Cat Questions? Ask a Cat Vet Online.

Ask a Cat Veterinarian,

We have an older rescue cat that we adopted about 2 months…

Customer Question
We have an older...

We have an older rescue cat that we adopted about 2 months ago, and its clear that he has had stress in his past life as he wont stop peeing in our bedroom even though we have multiple litter boxes set up. We give him plenty of attention, and give him space when he feels stressed. I just don't what to do about the random peeing outside of the litter box

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. What seems to be the problem with the cat?

He seems to have some sort of ptsd or residual stress from his past life, and if he is stressed or mad at us he will pee on the floor even though we have several cat boxes set up.

Veterinarian's Assistant: Strange behavior is often perplexing. I'm sure the Veterinarian can help you. What is the cat's name?

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about the cat?

Rembradt or remy for short

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Cat Veterinary
11/28/2017
Cat Veterinarian: Dr. Alleyne, Cat Veterinarian replied 7 months ago
Dr. Alleyne
Dr. Alleyne, Cat Veterinarian

Hello my name is***** and I am a licensed veterinarian with over 9 years of experience. I am hoping to help you with your pet today. Since I can’t physically exam your pet, I may need to respond with several follow up questions so I can best help you. Remember there is no limit on how many questions you can ask to in order to clarify any information I have provided regarding your pet. I just have a few initial questions to ask to gather some more information if you don’t mind? Do you know approximately how Rembrandt is? Are you seeing any blood in the stool?

the shelter thought 12 but the vet we took it to said around 8-10. He certainly has a lot of energy for his age. No blood in stool. No other medical ailments

Okay thanks for the additional information. Has he every had any labwork done to rule out any medical conditions? It sounds like his change in the environment may be causing some of the inappropriate urination. If that is the case and a medical issue has been rule out with bloodwork you can ask about some anti-anxiety medications to see if that helps. Common drugs that can be prescribed to cats include Buspar and Amitryptylline.