Cat Veterinary

Have Cat Questions? Ask a Cat Vet Online.

Ask a Cat Veterinarian,

My cat randomly pees on things that are left on the floor.

Customer Question
My cat randomly pees...

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'm sorry to hear that. Strange behavior is often perplexing. I'm sure the Veterinarian can help you. What is the cat's name and age?

Penne is my cat and she's is about 8

Veterinarian's Assistant: What is the cat's name?

Penne

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Penne?

She also has developed a watery eye since we got our Christmas tree yesterday.

Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Cat Veterinary
11/27/2017
Cat Veterinarian: Sheena Christensen,
 replied 8 months ago
Sheena Christensen

Hi there. I am Dr. Christensen. Sounds like you are have a couple of different concerns regarding Penne.

Cat Veterinarian: Sheena Christensen,
 replied 8 months ago

Regarding your first concern - the inappropriate urinations. Let me start by saying that is an extremely frustrating situation and I am glad you are reaching out for some advice. It is not an uncommon situation, but it is certainly one that needs addressed. The first step is identifying if this is behavioral or medical. The best way to do that is to have Penne seen by her veterinarian and they can run a urinalysis to look for signs of infection, inflammation, or crystals. If it is medical then the appropriate treatment should help clear it up. If the tests come back and show that there is not a medical reason, then it may be behavioral. While this can be a bit harder to treat, never fear, there are still treatment options. There are some anti-anxiety meds that work well for this condition as well as some cat foods that are specially formulated for helping to treat this. After your veterinarian sees her and determines the cause they can advise on the best options for treatment.

Cat Veterinarian: Sheena Christensen,
 replied 8 months ago

Regarding your second question,Penne's eye watering --

This could be due to a viral infection that can flare up during stressful times causing runny eyes, it could be the start of a bacterial infection, it could be related to allergies (less likely), or, given the addition of the Christmas tree, it could be that she poked her eye on one of the branches/needles resulting in a corneal ulcer. Corneal ulcers are often painful and lead to squinting and watery eyes. If she is squinting at all I would have her eye evaluated. Ulcers can become very serious if not treated. If you are taking her in to have your urine assessed, they should be able to assess her eye at the same time.

Cat Veterinarian: Sheena Christensen,
 replied 8 months ago

I hope that was helpful. Please don't hesitate to ask if you have further questions. I am happy to help in any way I can. Also, please take a moment to rate my service, it is greatly appreciated. Wishing you and Penne all the best and a quick recovery!

Cat Veterinarian: Sheena Christensen,
 replied 8 months ago

Hi there. It is Dr. Christensen again. I just wanted to check in a Penne. How are things going? Were you able to schedule her in for a urinalysis. Let me know if you have any questions. I hope all is well.