Cat Veterinary

Have Cat Questions? Ask a Cat Vet Online.

Ask a Cat Veterinarian,

I have several feral cats with mites and one seems to be…

Customer Question
I have several feral...

I have several feral cats with mites and one seems to be just off her food now and just lethargic she is older cannot afford a vet

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'm sorry to hear that. Could be a lot of things that cause lethargy. The Expert will know how to help the cat. What is the cat's name and age?

Sassy a crack head neighbor left them I 'm going to say around 13 on one 20 on Missy.Sassy did eat some baby food this morning mixed with water but she does shake her head alot.

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about the cat?

No this just has started about a week ago.

Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Cat Veterinary
11/27/2017
Cat Veterinarian: Sheena Christensen,
 replied 4 months ago
Sheena Christensen

Hi there. I am Dr. Christensen. Give me just a moment to review your question.

Cat Veterinarian: Sheena Christensen,
 replied 4 months ago

First. can I say thank you for taking some feral kitties in need under your wing. Not everyone is willing to do that. If I am understanding correctly Sassy is an older cat that is not eating well and is shaking her head. Sounds like perhaps more than one of them are shaking their heads or showing signs of ear mites.

Cat Veterinarian: Sheena Christensen,
 replied 4 months ago

Unfortunately, without a physical exam it is not possible to say for sure if Sassy is not eating because of the ear mites or if there is some other illness that is affecting her. I understand there are financial constraints limiting her ability to go the the veterinary clinic. You may want to check in your area and see if there are any low cost clinics. Sometimes farm stores or pet stores will host these types of clinics. There is a very good product called Revolution that prevent a multitude of parasites including ear mites. But it is a prescription product but many low cost clinics carry it. There are some over the counter products, I have never been very impressed with there effectiveness, but it is an option if a trip to the veterinary clinic is not an option.

Also, be sure the clean their bedding if they have any. Anywhere they lay may become infested with mites and cause re-infestation even after treatment.

Lastly, continue to offer Sassy baby food or canned cat food. If she will eat the canned cat food try to mix some water in with it to keep her hydrated. There is an over the counter product call Fortiflora that is a probiotic. I find that many cats like the taste of it and it can help encourage eating. You just sprinkle a packet of it on their food once a day. As I mentioned before it may or may not be the mites leading to her lack of appetite. If it does not improve there may be something more serious going on.

Cat Veterinarian: Sheena Christensen,
 replied 4 months ago

If you have any further questions, don't hesitate to ask. And if you could take a moment to rate my service it would be greatly appreciated. Wishing you and Sassy all the best. And, again, thank you for taking some needy cats under your wing.

Cat Veterinarian: Sheena Christensen,
 replied 4 months ago

Hey there! This is Dr. Christensen again. I just wanted to check in and see how Sassy is doing. Is she continuing to eat the baby food? I hope all is well.

Sheena Christensen
Sheena Christensen
Sheena Christensen