Cat Veterinary

Have Cat Questions? Ask a Cat Vet Online.

Ask a Cat Veterinarian,

We were out of town and came home to a mess. The cat had…

Customer Question
We were out of...

We were out of town and came home to a mess. The cat had acted like a dog and there were poop streaks all over the house and she has a very dirty back end. We tried to wash her but she went wild. She is now captive in a bathroom and we have some liquid benadryl to give her. The carpet cleaner is coming any minute. The cat will never let me take her out of the house but I need to clean her up!

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'm sorry to hear that. What is the cat's name and age?

Maddie age 12

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Maddie?

No. She is a very good cat with regular eating habits. We had someone coming in every day and he said she was using the litterbox. She just had a huge dingle-berry or something and was trying to get it off.

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Cat Veterinary
11/27/2017
Cat Veterinarian: Dr. Denise, Cat Veterinarian replied 7 months ago
Dr. Denise
Dr. Denise, Cat Veterinarian

Hi. I’m Dr. Denise, a licensed veterinarian. Welcome to JustAnswer! I’d like to help with your concerns regarding Maddie.

From your description, it doesn't sound like she had diarrhea while you were away but instead was scooting her bum on the carpet to wipe it clean. Is that correct?

If your plan is to give liquid Benadryl to make her groggy enough to bathe her, I will warn you. Most cats absolutely hate the taste of liquid Benadryl and will drool/spit profusely from a taste reaction.

Giving 1/2 of an adult 25mg Benadryl Tablet may be more successful. I then recommend waiting an hour before attempting the bath. Using a bucket or large plastic tub is often easier on cats than a spray home as well.