Dr. Denise
Dr. Denise, Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  Veterinarian
99472105

My 12 year old male cat is not eating as much as he use to

Customer Question

My 12 year old male cat is not eating as much as he use to eat. Every time he eats dry food, he keeps trying to get some out of his mouth by using his paw. When he eats soft food, he some times spit it back out. He has always been a very good eater. It also looks like his is losing weight. I put this on that he is not eating a lot.
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Denise replied 11 months ago.

Hi. I’m Dr. Denise, a licensed veterinarian and I'd like to help. Please give me a moment while I review your concerns.

I'm so sorry to hear that Mr. Finney is not eating well and losing weight. From your description, it sounds like he may have a painful condition is his mouth making it difficult to eat, or he may have an internal metabolic condition affecting his appetite. At his age, both are possible. Over time, some cats can develop painful lesions (similar to cavities) in their teeth that can be quite painful, or he may have a fractured or infected tooth.

I recommend having Mr. Finney seen by his veterinarian for a thorough oral exam and bloodwork to check the condition of his mouth and his internal organ function. From there, treatment will be determined based on the exam and test results.

My goal is to provide you with excellent service. If you have any follow-up questions don't hesitate to ask. If finished, please take a moment to rate my service. I would greatly appreciate your positive review (5 stars). Your review helps connect Experts with other customers so your input is highly appreciated, and it is the only way that I am compensated. Thank you!

If you’d like to request me in the future for your pet-related questions, you can contact me at this page: https://www.justanswer.com/veterinary/expert-drdenise/?rpt=3800