Cat Veterinary

Have Cat Questions? Ask a Cat Vet Online.

Ask a Cat Veterinarian,

We gave our kitten dramamine before a roadtrip, but I'm

Customer Question
We gave our kitten...

We gave our kitten dramamine before a roadtrip, but I'm worried we gave her too much. Should we make her throw up? We administered one pill (50mg) or dimenhydrate.

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'm sorry to hear that. Hopefully it didn't make a mess. Did the kitten eat anything unusual?

No, just the dramamine we gave her, and some tuna.

Veterinarian's Assistant: OK. The Expert will know what to do. Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about the kitten?

Her pupils are dilated and she's foaming and shaking. She's about 4 months old.

Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Cat Veterinary
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call.
Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
11/27/2017
Cat Veterinarian: Dr. Joey, Board Certified replied 4 months ago
Dr. Joey
Dr. Joey, Board Certified

Hello, I am Dr. Joey. Thanks for asking your question and trusting me to help you and your pet today. I am a licensed veterinarian with over 17 years of experience.

How much does she weigh? (I need to calculate her dose)

She weighs about 5.4 pounds
Should we try to make her throw up?

Then, the calculated highest dose recommended is about 20mg. So, this was too much. There is no way to induce vomiting in a cat at home. :(

I must, unfortunately, recommend you take her to be seen at your closest emergency clinic. Overdosage may cause nervous system stimulation (excitement to the point of seizures) or some cats do the opposite and become depressed/lethargic (to the point of comatose). The vet can induce her to vomit and then administer medication to help absorb as much as possible out of the gut.

I read online about using a teaspoon of peroxide to induce vomiting. Is that not safe? She's not our cat and we can't afford an emergency vet.

Peroxide only works in dogs. It will not lead to vomiting in cats. Cats are tough even for us as veterinarians to get to predictably vomit (and safely vomit). I just tried to find any over-the-counter recommendation and could not.

I completely understand financial constraints.

I can opt out and see if any other vet on this forum might have a recommendation for you.

Dr. Joey
Dr. Joey
Dr. Joey, Board Certified