Cat Veterinary

Have Cat Questions? Ask a Cat Vet Online.

Ask a Cat Veterinarian,

She is a rescue cat from a hording situation. She has loose…

Customer Question
She is a rescue...

She is a rescue cat from a hording situation. She has loose bowl. Diarer, and is not using litter box consistently.

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'm sorry to hear that. What is the cat's name and age?

Is there something I can do for her tonight?

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about the cat?

Approximately two years.

Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Cat Veterinary
Answered in 1 minute by:
11/27/2017
Cat Veterinarian: Sarah Snow,
 replied 8 months ago
Sarah Snow

I am Dr. Snow, and I can try and help you. I just have a couple of questions to start with.

Is she spayed? How long have you had her?

she is sprayed. 4 months.
Cat Veterinarian: Sarah Snow,
 replied 8 months ago

Ok, great, that is helpful. Has she had the diarrhea the whole time you've had her?

No, but she has not used litter box regularly.
Cat Veterinarian: Sarah Snow,
 replied 8 months ago

Ok, so the diarrhea is a new thing?

Is she only pooping outside the box or is she peeing and pooping outside the box?

Just pooping now.
Cat Veterinarian: Sarah Snow,
 replied 8 months ago

Ok, that is good to know. She is probably pooping outside of the box because the diarrhea is making her uncomfortable and she is associating that with the box.

Is she your only cat? How many litter boxes in the house?

Sorry, trying to connect with you on my laptop instead of this kindle.
Only cat, two boxes
Cat Veterinarian: Sarah Snow,
 replied 8 months ago

Ok, you are doing a good job then! Still eating normally and no vomiting?

No vomiting
She is on Wellness
Cat Veterinarian: Sarah Snow,
 replied 8 months ago

Great!

For tonight I would suggest confining her in a small room or bathroom with a clean litterbox so that she is more likely to go in the box (saving you some clean up).

You can try some Famotidine (Pepcid) to help calm her stomach. We usually use 1/4th of a 10mg tablet by mouth.

Long term, I would suggest getting a poop sample to your vet to check for parasites, including a lab test sent out for Tritrichomonas, since she was in a hoarding situation, presumably with lots of other cats.

Your veterinarian would be able to prescribe some Metronidazole for the diarrhea as well.

I would also suggest getting her on a good probiotic. Purina's Fortiflora is a good one. There are lots of good supplements available for GI support in cats - I find a lot of them on chewy.com

Post back with further questions!

What can I do for her tonight?
Cat Veterinarian: Sarah Snow,
 replied 8 months ago

Hopefully you can see my long post above about what you can do for tonight and what to do more long term!

Cat Veterinarian: Sarah Snow,
 replied 8 months ago

Are you still there? Can you see my long post with suggestions?

Cat Veterinarian: Sarah Snow,
 replied 8 months ago

Hi there! Any updates today?

I did see your suggestions. She was seen by a vet yesterday and her poop was sent to a lab. They found nothing.
She cannot be confined to a room because she freaks out. When I got her she was extremely afraid. Her face, eyes and whole body told how terrified she was. Her day going to the vet was extremely hard on her. My mattress, that was her safe place, and getting her into a box for transport and not letting her go out the door for the delivery of the mattress was very stressful for us all. Thank you for your help.
Cat Veterinarian: Sarah Snow,
 replied 8 months ago

Oh, it sounds very stressful for everyone! Is the diarrhea better?

Cat Veterinarian: Sarah Snow,
 replied 8 months ago

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Sarah Snow