Cat Veterinary

Have Cat Questions? Ask a Cat Vet Online.

Ask a Cat Veterinarian,

My cat has bald patches around her tail and back legs She…

Customer Question
My cat has bald...

My cat has bald patches around her tail and back legs She has been biting and itchy quite a bit back there

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'm sorry to hear that. Using the wrong medication for fleas can be dangerous. You should definitely talk to the Veterinarian. What is the cat's name and age?

Kylie age 8 Could it be the flea medicine we gave her?

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about your cat?

She's new to us We just got her from a neighbor

Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Cat Veterinary
Answered in 1 hour by:
11/27/2017
Cat Veterinarian: Cher, Feline Specialist replied 4 months ago
Cher
Cher, Feline Specialist

Hi, I'm Cher. Welcome to JustAnswer.

I'm reviewing your question now and will post back with your reply, shortly.

Hello, again and thank you for your patience.

I'm sorry you did not receive an earlier answer. I recently signed on and wanted to help.

I'm so sorry Kylie has been uncomfortable due to itching around her tail and hind legs. Very often, this is caused by fleas, mites, or other external parasites that cause itching. There are tiny mites that burrow under the skin and itch terribly. Humans can get them from cats, too.

What flea medicine did you give her and when? Where did you apply it? Does she spend any time outside?

If you just acquired her, she may be allergic to something in her new environment, like a cleanser you use, scented candles, potpourri, air fresheners (any type), carpet shampoo or wood floor cleaner, etc.

First you have to find the underlying cause of her itching and then have it treated. If the flea treatment you used was not bought from the vet or a brand sold by the vet, but sold in pet stores, most treatments from supermarkets or pet supply stores are not effective. In addition, many cats have had severe allergic reactions to them, some, even fatal!

She could be coming in contact with something that's bothering her, like bedding washed in a particular detergent, fabric softener, or dryer sheets, a cologne or hair product you use, etc.

For the moment, you can try giving her an over the counter antihistamine, like Chlor-Trimeton, to help with the itching. Give 1/4 of a 4mg. tablet, every 8-12 hours; a common side effect is sleepiness. Here is more information:

https://www.petplace.com/article/drug-library/drug-library/library/chlorpheniramine-maleate-chlor-trimeton-for-dogs-and-cats/

--------------

It would be advisable to have Kylie evaluated in person by her vet, to get a definite diagnosis and treatment, so she's feeling much more comfortable.

I hope all will be well with Kylie and please let me know how she's coming along. Thanks!

Your satisfaction is my ultimate goal and I welcome any follow-up questions you may have on this subject, at no additional charge.

At the conclusion of our correspondence, your 5-star rating will be most appreciated, as this will enable me to continue to send quality answers to additional clients and receive recognition by the website for my assistance.

Best wishes,

Cher

Hello again,

I just thought I'd check in to see how things are going for you and your Kylie. My primary goal is always to provide the best answer possible. Did you find my answer helpful? Please let me know.

Thanks,

Cher

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Cerecita
Cher
Cher
Cher, Feline Specialist