Cat Veterinary

Have Cat Questions? Ask a Cat Vet Online.

Ask a Cat Veterinarian,

My cat is totally lethargic; he seems unable to see...all…

Customer Question
My cat is totally...

My cat is totally lethargic; he seems unable to see...all this is recent; his head is hanging and he is unable to find water, food etc. He is 18. Has he had a stroke?

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'm sorry to hear that. Could be a lot of things that cause lethargy. The Expert will know how to help your cat. What is the cat's name?

MoMo

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about MoMo?

He seems to be nesting; a bit tottery if that's a word

Submitted: 6 months ago.Category: Cat Veterinary
He just won't move; he wants to be next to a wall or something. i found him this morning under pillows in closet. he has been on a pill for a thyroid condition./..this is sudden....
What is taking so long? Help me , please!
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call.
Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
11/26/2017
Cat Veterinarian: Dr. B., Cat Veterinarian replied 6 months ago
Dr. B.
Dr. B., Cat Veterinarian

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you today. I do apologize that your question was not answered before. Different experts come online at various times; I just came online, read about your wee one’s situation, and wanted to help.

Again I do apologize that my colleagues could not aid you sooner, but can you tell me:

How long has he been like this?

Was his thyroid condition considered stable on his current medication dose?

His onset was very sudden, He cannot see or hear. He is hiding and seeking refuge. I do not if his thyroid condition is stable or not be cause we have not seen the vet on a followup. I have an appt. scheduled.

Oh dear,

Now I have to be frank with you that this is a serious situation. Sudden onset blindness in older cats with known hyperthyroidism is likely due to a blood pressure spike that has caused a bleed in the eyes or the brain (stroke). And while some can regain normal brain function as the blood dissipates in the brain, often sight is not regained. If he has detached his retinas with this, then quick intervention to bring the blood pressure down can help in some cases. Therefore, to give MoMo a chance here since this just happened, we need him seen now. We need that blood pressure checked and treated and that thyroid rechecked and the dose of medication potentially altered to get him stable and try to restore his sight if we can do so.

In this situation, just in case you do wish to see an ER vet, you can check @ http://www.vetlocator.com/ or https://www.veccs.org/facility-directory/

Kind regards,

Dr. B.

******************************************************************************

I aim to provide best care for you just as I do for my own clients & their pets. If you have any other questions, please ask – I’m happy to help but please rate me with the **STARS** (or leave a written rating of 1-5; 5 being great) as this is the only way I am credited for my work by the site & this allows me to continue to help here. This is included in your question fee. Once you rate, your question will not close & you can still ask follow-up questions. Thank you. : )**

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?
Dr. B.