Cat Veterinary

Have Cat Questions? Ask a Cat Vet Online.

Ask a Cat Veterinarian,

My cat is crying out, it seems to be in pain, and squatting…

Customer Question
My cat is crying...

My cat is crying out, it seems to be in pain, and squatting about half way then a little squirt of liquid comes out of his butt. Instead of flopping over like normal to lick his butt, he is moving extremely slowly and cautiously as if he is in a lot of pain. I don't know what to do or what could be wrong. I think it might just be constipation but I don't know how to provide him any relief

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'm sorry to hear that. The noise must be worrying. I'll connect you to the Veterinarian. What is the cat's name and age?

His name is ***** ***** he is 2 years old

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Abu?

He is a pretty normal cat other than this, it's lasted probably about 28 hours now. I first noticed it last night and then my fiancé noticed him doing it again this afternoon and it has progressively gotten more frequent throughout the night

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Cat Veterinary
11/26/2017
Cat Veterinarian: Dr. B., Cat Veterinarian replied 7 months ago
Dr. B.
Dr. B., Cat Veterinarian

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you today. I do apologize that your question was not answered before. Different experts come online at various times; I just came online, read about your wee one’s situation, and wanted to help.

Again I do apologize that my colleagues could not aid you sooner, but can you tell me:

How long has he been like this?

Can he pass any urine? When did he last go?

When did he last pass stool?

Are his gums pink or white/pale? Moist or sticky?

If you press on his belly, any tensing, tenderness, discomfort, or pain?

Could he have eaten anything harmful (ie bones, toys, plants, chemicals, human meds, etc)?

Can you take a breathing rate for me (just count his breaths for 10 seconds + multiply by 6)?