Cat Veterinary

Have Cat Questions? Ask a Cat Vet Online.

Ask a Cat Veterinarian,

I have a 13 year old Ragdoll that has a horrible sinus

Hi, I have a...

Hi, I have a 13 year old Ragdoll that has a horrible sinus infection. She can’t breathe out of her nose, we clean off the green discharge constantly but it is still backed up in her nose, and she is making heavy breathing noises from her throat. Our vets are all out due to the holiday weekend, she has had this before and antibiotics helped it clear up quickly. She weighs just over 9 lbs.

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'm sorry to hear that. There are all sorts of infections the cat can pick up. I'll have you talk to the Veterinarian who'll sort out what is wrong and help you decide what to do about it. What is the cat's name?

Thelma Lu ❤️

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Thelma?

She is elderly, is missing one of her bottom “tall” teeth (new discovery) and is losing weight due to that she can’t smell the food. Usually she is a good eater. Also she has a lot of eye discharge but I have Terramycin for that.

Her breath is absolutely horrible, she had a cleaning less than 2 years ago and I see a little tartar but with the tooth that just fell out (I actually think I wiped it out wiping her nose and all the “icky” off her face”) I think her mouth is really rotten.
11/25/2017
Dr. Beth
Dr. Beth, Cat Veterinarian

Hi, I'm Dr. Beth and I'll do my best to help you today! To make sure I don't miss anything, please give me a moment to review your question - I am not the fastest typist so it may take me a few moments to type out a response.

Thank you for trusting us with your questions, this service is used for general information only and is not a substitute for a veterinarian patient relationship by examination.

I'm sorry Thelma Lu is having trouble, my kitty has chronic respiratory issues so I am all too familiar with this.

Is it just her nose that is affected, or are her eyes also runny?

Has she only ever had the Terramycin ointment, or do you have any other antibiotic eye drops at home?

Just the ointment.

Ok - so if her eyes start to look irritated or runny at all, it would not hurt to use the ointment for her eyes.

That is good that she will let you pick the nose boogers, keep her nose clear as best you can.

Something that can help her breathe better and break up the congestion would be to get some saline nose drops for her, like this: http://www.littleremedies.com/remedies/nose-remedies/saline-spray-drops/ You can drip the saline into each of her nostrils every few hours.

Another thing that can sometimes help their breathing is runny a hot shower, close the door so it gets steamy, and put the cat in the bathroom (not the shower!) for a few minutes to breathe the humidified warm air.

We’ve been doing the shower thing, it does help a bit. I will get the nose spray. It’s a human baby item?

Yes even if it says spray, if you just turn the bottle over it will drip out. They make ones for adult as well which would be fine too.

One thing to try for food is something wet in a fish flavor, warmed for a few seconds, stronger smells can sometimes help their appetite.

Also, many cats will eat a meat flavored baby food when they won't eat anything else. Usually they like the very plain flavors by Gerber, Delmonte, or Beechnut, just meat with the gravy like chicken, turkey, or ham. Check the ingredient list that no other flavors like garlic or onion has been added. Sometimes warming a little can help make it more appealing too and bring out the flavor and aroma.

I have been down this road before with other cats, but never on a holiday weekend!Thanks for your help, hopefully this makes her breathe easier.

Sinus infections don't usually turn into an emergency, hopefully these things will keep her a little more comfortable until your vet opens back up on Monday.

If you have any other questions, please don't hesitate to ask.

If the information I've provided has been helpful, I hope you'll take a moment to rate my service positively by clicking on the star rating system (or if you are not seeing the stars you can leave a written rating of 1-5, 5 being great service). Until you issue a rating of 3 or better, the website will not compensate me for helping you, and taking the time to answer these questions helps me to support my family. You'll still be able to chat with me even after giving a rating, at no further charge on this thread. My goal is to give you 5 star service - keep in mind you are rating only my help, not any site or interface issues you might have. It is valuable feedback for me and for other pet owners as they seek help for their pets.

If you'd like to request me in the future for pet-related questions, you can do so by accessing this page: https://www.justanswer.com/veterinary/expert-drbethg/?rpt=3800

Dr. Beth
Dr. Beth, Cat Veterinarian
Thanks again, you’ve been great. I’m off to get the nose drops! Have a great weekend!

You're welcome, thanks for the great rating and good luck to you and Thelma Lu-

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Dr. Beth