Cat Veterinary

Have Cat Questions? Ask a Cat Vet Online.

Ask a Cat Veterinarian,

Cat Veterinary

My very spoiled cat's food is Royal Canin's Uninary food,

My very spoiled cat's...

My very spoiled cat's food is Royal Canin's Uninary food, which I get at the vet's. I got her some "Temptation's tuna flavored tarter control treats. She is now picketing her food, as she wants the treats. I feed her small amounts of food (about eight times a day). I was feeding her a total of 1/2 cup a day, as she is about 11 lbs. in weight. She also receives about 2 oz. of cat sip on a daily basis. I've tried mixing a few treats with her food. She eats the treats first, and (so far) eventually eats the food. I THOUGHT about just caving, and giving her the treats, as the main food source, but they have more fat, and I don't know that doing that would be in her best interest. Did I mention that I believe my cat is the reincarnation of Queen Nefertiti, and deems me to be the faithful servant, which I am? Probably not. I am not totally crazy, just crazy about this cat. Many thanks for any input you have.

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'm sorry to hear that. The Expert will know what to do. What is the cat's name?

Ms. Beauty Kaludie Princess Cat Weller. Beauty, for short. :-)

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about your vet's cat?

It's my cat, not the vet's, Maybe I typed something incorrectly. I can't think of anything. She goes to the vet twice a year, and just had her teeth cleaned.

11/25/2017
Dr. Beth
Dr. Beth, Cat Veterinarian

Hi, I'm Dr. Beth and I'll do my best to help you today! To make sure I don't miss anything, please give me a moment to review your question - I am not the fastest typist so it may take me a few moments to type out a response.

Thank you for trusting us with your questions, this service is used for general information only and is not a substitute for a veterinarian patient relationship by examination.

That's fine. I am going to be out for about 20 minutes, and will check this site upon my return. Thanks.

Beauty sounds like she has you wrapped around her little paw! The treats aren't bad in and of themselves, but that can pose a dilemma if they are holding out for those. The fine print on the treats is, "Our treats are under 2 calories each and are 100% nutritionally complete and balanced for all lifestages so you can be sure you are giving your cat a healthy treat."

This means you could feed just the treats and they have all the vitamins and minerals they need, if that is all the cat was eating - but that would get expensive fast for you.

Also, with her being on a urinary diet normally, the treats could potentially pose some issues for her urinary health - how long ago was she started on the urinary diet?

No problem to respond whenever you get back-

Dr. Beth
Dr. Beth, Cat Veterinarian
Phone call session started
Dr. Beth
Dr. Beth
Dr. Beth, Cat Veterinarian