Cat Veterinary

Have Cat Questions? Ask a Cat Vet Online.

Ask a Cat Veterinarian,

She started vomiting her food this morning then started

She started vomiting her...

She started vomiting her food this morning then started vomiting bile (beige watery). Won't eat and appears she is revolted by it. She wants to drink water but doesn't really and she vomits when she does. She appeared to have a large bowel movement immediately before this all started this morning. I'm concerned and also fear if she is in pain. She isn't especially sensitive to me touching her stomach but she is flicking her tail a lot, and stares off in the distance.

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'm sorry to hear that. Hopefully it didn't make a mess. Did the cat eat anything unusual?

New lower quality food than normal as we are visiting my parents and used their cat food

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about the cat?

She has feline herpes but is in good health otherwise. She is about 11 years old

11/25/2017
Pet Doc
Pet Doc, Cat Veterinarian

Hi there,

Thanks for your question regarding your kitty who has been vomiting since this morning. I am currently typing up a response and will have something for you in the next few minutes.

Thank you for your patience.

Kind Regards,

Dr E

Hi again,

Thank you for your patience. There are a number of things that could be going on here with your girl today to cause this vomiting and inappetance, and we need to consider anything from an infectious gastroenteritis, to a toxicity (hopefully there isn't anything your girl could have gotten into), to intestinal worms or even a foreign body obstruction. You will definitely need to continue to keep a close eye on your girl, and if this vomiting continue, then you will need to get her seen by your local ER vet tonight. It is unlikely the herpes virus has anything to do with her symptoms today/tonight, so please do worry about that.

For now, make sure your girl has plenty of fresh water available and encourage her to drink. The biggest concern right now is that she could become dehydrated. If she won't drink or can't keep water down, then you are best to get her seen by your local ER vet tonight where they can start her on some intravenous (IV) fluids. You can with hold her food until the morning now, and from then you can start her on a bland diet of cooked, boneless, skinless chicken breast and boiled white rice. Don't worry about getting her to eat tonight, but definitely encourage her to drink now and over night. If she isn't interested in drinking, then you could try making her up a fresh chicken broth. For this, just boil up some fresh chicken until cooked, scoop off the solids, allow the liquid to cool, then feed her this luke-warm broth.

Over the next few hours, please keep an eye on her mucus membranes, capillary refill time and respiratory rate tonight as follows (do be careful that your girl doesn't try to bite you):

Mucus membranes - flip her lip and look at the color of her gums. They should maintain a nice salmon pink color. Get her to the emergency Vet if they appear white or very pale pink, or if they are a dark deep red color.

Capillary Refill time - this measures blood perfusion and test this by putting your thumb on her gum to apply pressure. After you release your thumb you will see the gum blanch. Capillary refill time is the amount of time it takes (in seconds) for the gum to return to a healthy pink color from the blanched white color. If 2 seconds or less don't worry - if it is taking significantly more time, again - off to the emergency Vet.

Respiratory Rate - if she seems to be panting or breathing rapidly throughout the night, this is a sign of shock and or pain and a signal for a trip to the emergency Vet.

Best of luck with your girl and hopefully these symptoms settle in the next few hours. As above, if she can't keep water down, or if any of the parameters above don't seem right, then definitely play it safe and get her seen tonight. I hope all of the above makes sense? If you have more questions or if I can help in any other way, please do not hesitate to ask! If you would like to accept my answer, please press RATE OUR CONVERSATION (I am not compensated in any other way). Bonuses are always welcome. Thanks! I hope to work with you again soon!

Kind Regards,

Dr E

PS: If you have additional questions after you rate the question, you are welcome to request me for additional conversations if I am on-line or by beginning your question "Dr. E..." or "Pet-doc..." and others will leave the questions for me.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?
Pet Doc
She continued to act sick, not drink or eat with small moans during the night so I took her to a vet. Blood work was fine, X-rays didn't show anything but the gas was consistent with a foreign body. She is eating and drinking and also not acting as sick anymore. I am administering amoxicillin and she is on a strict diet.She has since developed a 'reverse sneeze' so may have something lodged in there or may be due to stress of the whole ordeal. (She has feline herpes)

Hi again,

Thanks so much for the update and it was great to hear you followed up with your vet and that she seems to be doing a lot better now with her antibiotic and strict diet. Hopefully she continues to improve. If the reverse sneeze continues, then you may need to get your vet to sedate her and check up over the soft palate to see if there is a foreign body lodged there or not. Hopefully it's just a little feline herpe recrudesence as a result of the stress as you say!

All the best,

Dr E

Pet Doc
Pet Doc, Cat Veterinarian
Thank you!I'm happy she is doing better but will certainly watch the sneeze thing.