Cat Veterinary

Have Cat Questions? Ask a Cat Vet Online.

Ask a Cat Veterinarian,

She was on metronidazole for diarrhea but now seems

She was on metronidazole...

She was on metronidazole for diarrhea but now seems constipated, very large belly and difficulty passing stool.

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'm sorry to hear that. What is the cat's name and age?

Aurora and she is only five weeks. She was a stray.

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Aurora?

I only just got her. She has seen a vet and is up to date on shots. She is acting just fine but her belly is large.

11/25/2017
Dr. Denise
Dr. Denise, Cat Veterinarian

Hi. I’m Dr. Denise, a licensed veterinarian. Welcome to JustAnswer! I’d like to help with your concerns regarding Aurora.

A few questions to understand her condition better:

When did she start the Metronidazole?

When was her last poop?

What is her diet?

Any changes in her appetite? activity level?

Not sure when she started. Prescription is dated 11/21.Her litter box shows a normal amount of poop.Her diet is Authority Kitten Chicken and Liver, made into a soupy texture with water.Her appetite is fine, and she is very playful and active. I am probably overreacting. She is just so young.

Thank you so much for this additional information. Just a moment while I type my response.

If she is eating well, leaving a normal amount of poop in the box and active, these are all very encouraging signs.

Kittens can develop distended bellies for a few reasons: a large meal, intestinal parasites, or true constipation. It sounds like Aurora is pooping a normal amount but may have difficulty passing stool.

Metronidazole can be a very effective medication for diarrhea, but in such a small kitten, it can make her stool a bit too dry and difficult to pass.

I recommend mixing additional water with her food to increase her hydration and help soften up her stools.

Dr. Denise
Dr. Denise, Cat Veterinarian

My goal is to provide you with excellent service. If you have any follow-up questions don't hesitate to ask. If finished, please take a moment to rate my service. I would greatly appreciate your positive review (5 stars). Your review helps connect Experts with other customers so your input is highly appreciated, and it is the only way that I am compensated. Thank you!

If you’d like to request me in the future for your pet-related questions, you can contact me at this page: https://www.justanswer.com/veterinary/expert-drdenise/?rpt=3800

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Dr. Denise
Dr. Denise
Dr. Denise
Dr. Denise, Cat Veterinarian