Cat Veterinary

Have Cat Questions? Ask a Cat Vet Online.

Ask a Cat Veterinarian,

My cat has been scratching between her eye and ear for the…

Customer Question
Hi, my cat has...

Hi, my cat has been scratching between her eye and ear for the last couple days. Now there is a bald spot and the skin looks more pink than normal and there appears to be swelling around her eye. She never leaves the house and I don’t know if anything new that she could have been exposed to.

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'm sorry to hear that. Is this new behavior?

Yes

Veterinarian's Assistant: OK. The Expert will know what to do. What is the cat's name?

Daisy

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Daisy?

No she is acting fine and has no other issues

Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Cat Veterinary
11/24/2017
Cat Veterinarian: petdrz, Veterinarian replied 8 months ago
petdrz
petdrz, Veterinarian

Hello. Welcome to JustAnswer. I am Dr Z. I'm reviewing your question now, and will post back with a reply ASAP.

Ok thanks! Can I send a picture?

Thanks for trusting me to help you and Daisy today. I am a licensed veterinarian with over 30 years of experience and would be happy work with you.

It sounds like there could be a dermatologic problem going on with Daisy. Even if she doesn't go outside, cat's can develop allergies to things in the environment both inside and outside the house. Cat's can also develop inflammend and itchy skin from food allergies. If she is allergic, determining the cause is not always straightforward, and can be a challenge, but starting with a thorough physical exam and some specific testing of the affected skin, other conditions (such as skin infections) can be ruled out and after your vet can make some suggestions as to how to treat this and any upcoming flare ups.

In the meantime, you can try to apply a cool water/epsom salt compress to the affected area to provide some relief until you can have your vet evaluate her.

I hope this is helpful. Please let me know if you have ANY other questions. My goal is to give you 100% satisfaction and if you are not yet satisfied, please reply so I can clarify for you.

My posted replies are for general education only and not meant as a diagnosis. Only after a thorough veterinary examination can a diagnosis for your pet be made and specific treatments be advised or medications be prescribed.

Dr Z

Sure, you can send a picture.

Yes, that very much looks like the lesions I see in allergic cats. If it continues, you will want to have your vet take a look at her.

Ok thank you very much

You are very welcome.