Cat Veterinary

Have Cat Questions? Ask a Cat Vet Online.

Ask a Cat Veterinarian,

Cat Veterinary

I would be really grateful for your advice but I don't know

Hi, I would be really...
Hi, I would be really grateful for your advice but I don't know if I can afford to pay.. is it okay to continue to ask?
JA: I'll do all I can to help. What is wrong with the cat?
Customer: Thank you so much! I have a sweet, middle aged (around 7 year old cat) and I normally keep her on the 'uretic' dry food because she had problems when she was young.... I ran out of her food, and had to rely on canned food (junky stuff.. friskies etc. for about 5 days and now that I've switched back, she keeps throwing up her food. :-(
JA: Hopefully it didn't make a mess. Did the cat eat anything unusual?
Customer: No... I am just trying to get her back on her normal food. I tried adding water and some mildly cooked chicken yesterday. I don't know whether she held that down (I think so but she has so many hiding spots it can be hard to tell) but then today she just vomited her food back up.
JA: What is the cat's name?
Customer: Scampy (aka 'Kitten')
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about the kitten?
Customer: She and I are very fortunate to be together: she developed that condition, I don't know if I'm spelling it correctly but its like ploymetra and thankfully my vets were wonderful and got her through that emergency. She has been fine since then, but I know she had the history of needing the special food from when she was younger (she was my Mom's cat and Mom passed away about 3 years ago...so I don't know total history intimately).
11/24/2017
Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian

Hi, I'm Dr. Peter. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm reviewing your question now and will post back with your reply ASAP.

To make sure I got this right, the problem is that she is vomiting her food, correct?

Customer reply replied 17 days ago
that is correct. It appears chewed. I have run out of her food before but never had so much trouble getting her back on her food. She has been very stressed also because I just lost my job, and that changed our routines, and I had just replaced her litter boxes.. I don't know if htose things could contribute. This seems directly related to her eating though. :-(
Customer reply replied 17 days ago
I would prefer to talk but as I say, just lost my job (I work as an elder companion) and fear I can't afford the fee to talk. I'm sorry. I hope you will still help us.

1- Does she ever vomit without food in it?

2- Is she on hairball medicine?

Chat is fine; please disregard the phone request this is sent by the website automatically, not me.

Customer reply replied 17 days ago
okay thank you. No she is not vomiting without food in it. She is not on hairball medicine. ... Thank you for working with me.

Please give me 5-10 minutes to type your answer. Thank you.

Customer reply replied 17 days ago
Okay, Thank you so much! She's a very sweet girl and I feel very bad about this. I'll be right here.

Friend, when we see vomiting of undigested food it is called "regurgitation" as the food has not been digested. Possible causes could be esophagus disorders (megaesophagus, strictures, parasites), gastritis, or even part of a systemic disease. In cats as a species, we also have to rule out hairballs. This is what you can do:

1- Do not give things like Pepto Bismol or Imodium. Start her on hairball medicine, you can buy Laxaire or Laxatone over the counter in any pet store; give at label dose.

2- No food or water for 6-8 hours. Need to give her gastrointestinal tract time to rest.

3- After 6-8 hours offer a small amount of water. Wait half hour, if no vomiting, offer a small amount of rice (50%) and boiled boneless chicken or ground beef (50%) 4-6 times a day. Keep her on this diet for several days then wean into her regular diet.

Note: When you feed her raise her eating dish on to a small stool to force her to raise her head when she is eating.

4- If she continues to regurgitate after doing the above she will need to be seen by your family veterinarian for a hands on examination. If cost is a concerned I would look into your local ASPCA or Shelter where they often offer veterinary services at a lower cost.

My goal is to provide you with excellent service. If you have any follow-up questions don't hesitate to ask. If finished, please take a moment to rate my service it is how I get compensated. See you again soon!

Dr. Peter

Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian
Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian