Cat Veterinary

Have Cat Questions? Ask a Cat Vet Online.

Ask a Cat Veterinarian,

My savannah cat, Noki, has been treated for hyperthyroid and…

My savannah cat, Noki...

My savannah cat, Noki, has been treated for hyperthyroid and some dental disease in the past. He is healthy now and he's a neutered 13 yr old cat. After eating his soft food, he meows loudly like there's a frog in his throat. It's hard to describe the sound of it. Good litter box habits, drinks and eats well aside from the meowing (pain?) after eating. Thank you, Holly

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'm sorry to hear that. Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Noki?

I don't think so. I briefly covered his medical history.

11/24/2017
petdrz
petdrz, Veterinarian

Hello. Welcome to JustAnswer. I am Dr Z. I'm reviewing your question now, and will post back with a reply ASAP.

Thanks for trusting me to help you and Noki today. I am a licensed veterinarian with over 30 years of experience and would be happy work with you.

I know the sound that you are describing as I have heard it many times in cats. It is usually the sound that they make right before they vomit. Even though you don't describe Noki as vomiting, it is very likely that he is feeling some degree of nausea after he eats. This would not be uncommon as very many cats are affected by some degree of GI disease, the most common being inflammatory bowel disease (IBD).

I would definitely bring this up with your vet. They may be able to prescribe something to be given to help with the nausea. The drug called Cerenia (Maropitant) is an anti-vomiting drug that may be an excellent choice for him as it also has anti-inflammatory effects and is used to treat many cats with IBD.

I hope this is helpful. Please let me know if you have ANY other questions. My goal is to give you 100% satisfaction and if you are not yet satisfied, please reply so I can clarify for you.

My posted replies are for general education only and not meant as a diagnosis. Only after a thorough veterinary examination can a diagnosis for your pet be made and specific treatments be advised or medications be prescribed.

Dr Z

petdrz
petdrz, Veterinarian

Thank you kindly for the positive rating. It is truly appreciated.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

petdrz