Cat Veterinary

Have Cat Questions? Ask a Cat Vet Online.

Ask a Cat Veterinarian,

Why won't my cat use the litter box. Herbie is 11. He used…

Why won't my cat...

Why won't my cat use the litter box

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'm sorry to hear that. What is the cat's name and age?

Herbie is 11. He used to use the litter box then my daughter stayed with us for a little while and she had 2 cats who were using his litter box and that's when the problem started but they aren't here anymore and he still won't use it

Answered in 1 minute by:
11/24/2017
Dr. Meghan Denney
Dr. Meghan Denney, Cat Veterinarian

Hi I am Dr. Denney. I am currently reviewing your post now. Please give me a few minutes to type my response. Thank you for trusting us with your question. This service is used for general information only and is no substitute for a veterinarian patient relationship by examination.

Male cats will stop using the litter box for a host of reasons some medical and some behavioral. Generally it is a good idea to rule out medical causes first because if there is a medical cause and it is not addressed ( even if there is a behavioral component) it will not get better unless diagnosed and treated.

He could have developed an urinary tract infection which causes them to have pain while urinating and so they begin to think the litter box is what is the causing the pain and start avoiding using the litter box.

An UTI is diagnosed by obtaining an urine sample and checked it for crystals, bacteria , white blood cells, red blood cells etc. I use an ultrasound to get my urine sample so I know it is sterile and I can also look at the bladder and make sure there is no stones or abnormalities in the bladder wall ( like bladder cancer)

With him being an older cat he also may be having some pain in his hips and if the litter box is very high it can hurt to step in and out of the box. A physical exam will check for this

Now on to the behavioral elements

1. This may be a scent issue in which getting a whole new litter box and clean litter may fix the problem

2. Adding a litter box so he has two to choose from. It is generally recommended to have a litter box per cat + 1

3. If he was caused anxiety by sharing his litter box we can help him feel better about it by using Feline calming pheromones a good on is called Feliway and you can buy a diffuser on amazon.com or from your regular veterinarian's office.

So I would recommend having him examined to check for UTI and for arthritis and also getting a new litter box and adding an additional litter box got start and see if your veterinarian finds an UTI.

By getting a new litter box and getting him examined we are trying to address behavioral causes along with medical since most of these issues are twofold having both medical and behavioral elements and hopefully this will give you the best chance to get him using the litter box again quickly

Thank you

Good luck with your cat I hope this helps get to bottom of the issue and gets it resolved.

If this was helpful I would be most appreciative if you could take the time to rate my assistance so the site will credit me with helping you

Without a rating (the stars at the top) the site will not compensate me for helping you.

I am also here for additional questions you may have just reach out to me here and I will be more than happy to assist you.

Kind regards,

Dr. Meghan Denney

This Content is not intended to be a substitute for a professional veterinary exam, diagnostics, diagnosis, or treatment. Always seek the advice of your attending veterinarian with any questions you may have regarding a medical condition of a pet.

You are most welcome

Dr. Meghan Denney
Dr. Meghan Denney, Cat Veterinarian

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Dr. Meghan Denney