Cat Veterinary

Have Cat Questions? Ask a Cat Vet Online.

Ask a Cat Veterinarian,

Cat Veterinary

This is going to sound odd, but I want to give my cat

regular tramadol as he has...
This is going to sound odd, but I want to give my cat regular tramadol as he has arthritis, and back pain. My partner (human) is on tramadol and gabapentin for chronic pain and want to know figure out the dosage to use a 300mg tramadol pill in suspension so that I can give our 4kg cat some pain relief without re-mortgaging the house and selling our first born...
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. What is the cat's name and age?
Customer: Puss - yep - and he's over 11. He adopted us when he was a grown cat
JA: What is the cat's name?
Customer: Puss
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Puss?
Customer: He had radioactive iodine for hyperthyroidism 2 years ago, but seems ok now, apart from the pain
11/24/2017
DocPaul
DocPaul, Veterinarian

Hi.

Dr. Paul Brazzell here

Happy Thanksgiving!

I would rather you use the Gabapentin at 50.0 mg twice daily

Dosing the Tramadol is much harder as we would have to give 1/30 of that pill

Gabapentin works very well in cats as an analgesic

Okay?

Paul

Customer reply replied 18 days ago
Wow 50mg seems a lot for a cat.
Ok, so, the gabapentin (Pregabalin) is also a 300mg pill. How do I give it to him in 50mg doses, just divide it into 6 portions? Or do I mix the contents of the capsule in water? If so, how much water?

Dont mix it with water

Put 1/6 of the tablet in some butter and put that on end of finger.

Then kind of push end of finger into back of kitty's throat or onto back of tongue

That should work

Paul

Customer reply replied 18 days ago
Ok, I'll try it. Thank you, ***** ***** thanksgiving. I'm in NZ, not the States, (hence the kg's). Hope you get to enjoy the holiday.

I am Canadian so kg's were good for me

Living in USA

Visiting Australia, NZ and Tasmania next March with my son

Have a good night, Paul

And please dont forget to rate me- That is how I get paid :)

Be well

Paul

DocPaul
DocPaul, Veterinarian
Customer reply replied 18 days ago
Oh yes, will do. You'll have a great trip, although March can be insanely hot in Australia. Have fun.

Thanks for the tip

DocPaul
DocPaul
DocPaul, Veterinarian