Cat Veterinary

Have Cat Questions? Ask a Cat Vet Online.

Ask a Cat Veterinarian,

Cat Veterinary

Wound/abcess near tail not healing. Cat - maine coon 10lb.

Wound/abcess near tail not...

Wound/abcess near tail not healing

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'm sorry to hear that. What sort of animal are we talking about?

Cat - maine coon 10lb

Veterinarian's Assistant: OK. Is the cat bleeding a lot?

Never bled...just noticed it...

Veterinarian's Assistant: What is the cat's name and age?

Caesar. .probably 4 year old (I lost track)

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Caesar?

He's been fine

Answered in 1 minute by:
11/24/2017
DocPaul
DocPaul, Veterinarian

Hi.

Dr. Paul Brazzell here.

I would be happy to help you.

Is the abscess draining?

And are you able to send me a photo?

What caused the lesion in the first place?

Paul

not draining
could get a pic on phone, not sure how to transfer it to computer
indoor/outdoor cat...he just came in with it, never said a word...

Okay

Picture would be great but not mandatory

Suspect that this is a cat bit/scratch wound

Will he let you get near it? Touch it?

He will let me look at it. For a sec

Okay

I suspect that we are going to need to get the area cleaned and him started onto oral antibiotics

IF you are able to wash the area with benzoyl peroxide shampoo that will clean up everything on the surface

The question is how much infection in below the skin?

That is where the antibiotics come in

Is there drainage? A hole?

He's difficult to get into a carrier, so I was hoping it would heal...

Yes that looks like a SC abscess (infection in the tissues)

I would ask your veterinarian for a prescription for Gabapentin

This is a very very safe drug that will relax him

Give it to him orally before you take him in

That should solve all the problems

Then they can clean it up and get you and antibiotics

Make sense?

Paul

thank you!

You are very welcome

Good luck and please update me after the visit

And please dont forget to rate me- That is how I get paid :)

Paul

DocPaul
DocPaul, Veterinarian
Update: cat doing well...vet gave him 6 days of antibiotics...today will be last day...most of the pus, or whatever, had already drained, so that was good...his fur has gotten soft again!

Great job!

Thanks for the update

Paul

DocPaul
DocPaul
DocPaul, Veterinarian