Cat Veterinary

Have Cat Questions? Ask a Cat Vet Online.

Ask a Cat Veterinarian,

Swallowed and then threw up a couple of short pieces of

Hi, swallowed and then...

Hi, swallowed and then threw up a couple of short pieces of curling ribbon. He’s not eating, but drinking water.

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'm sorry to hear that. The Expert will know if the cat will be able to digest that. What is the cat's name and age?

Squeak, 11

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Squeak?

He had a bout of pancreatitis two years ago but no problems since.

I have also given him some laxatone. He is drinking water but not eating too much. He seems alert but we can always tell when he has “boo boo tummy.”
11/24/2017
Dr. John
Dr. John, Texas Veterinarian

Hello. Thanks for writing in. My name is***** and I would be happy to help you. I AM NOT SET UP TO MAKE PHONE CALLS, BUT I WOULD BE HAPPY TO ANSWER ANY QUESTIONS YOU HAVE ONLINE. THE WEBSITE SENDS THE REQUESTS; NOT MYSELF. In order to give an informative and concise answer, it may take a few minutes before I respond back to you, so don't be alarmed if you don't hear back immediately. If you have not responded back in 10 minutes, it may be a longer before I can get back to you. I do have a couple more questions, though, to see if I can better assess your situation.

How long ago did he vomit these up?

When was the last time he ate?

If you press into his abdomen from both sides at the same time, is he painful or uncomfortable?

No pain when pressing. He threw up the first time about 4pm, then again about 15 minutes later, nothing since. He ate lunch at 12.30pm.

Thanks for the information. Hopefully it is just an upset stomach, and that is all. I wouldn't be too concerned at this point, especially if he is still drinking. Now there is some concern that another piece of ribbon could be stuck in there. These types of products are notorious for causing a linear foreign body in cats. One end gets hooked up somewhere, while the intestinal tract still tries to push it though. Because it is hooked up, the intestinal tract ends up bunching up on itself, which causes a obstruction. Often times it can get hooked up under the tongue. If he will let you lift up the tongue and look under it, you may be able to see something. If you do see it, do not pull anything because it can slice through the intestinal tract. Have a vet sedate him instead to cut and release it. If you do not see anything, it could still be hooked up somewhere else. There is not much you can safely give a cat at home for nausea. Pepcid would be the safest thing at 2.5 mg per 5-10 lbs of body weight, but it may not always work. Instead, I would try some canned food he may like or even some canned tuna or salmon. He may be fine tomorrow, so I would just monitor him. If he starts to vomit, seems to have a painful or uncomfortable abdomen or is not eating after 24 hours, I would definitely have your vet check him out. Please let me know if you have any other questions or concerns. Hope this helps.

My goal is to make sure that you get all your question answered and all the information you need. IF YOU ARE SATISFIED WITH MY ANSWER, PLEASE RATE IT. Rating it is the only way I get compensated for helping you, and we can still continue our conversation after rating. If you feel like it is not helpful to you, or if there is more information you need, please respond back to me before rating. Asking more specific questions usually helps a lot. Realize that our conversation is not intended to diagnose or treat a condition. There has to be a valid veterinary-client-patient relationship established with an exam, according to law. You should always follow up with your vet.

Dr. John
Dr. John, Texas Veterinarian
I don’t think he swallowed a long piece because we didn’t find any long pieces missing, just some short ones. If he’s not back to normal by tomorrow evening there’s an emergency vet we can take him to. I won’t worry (too much!) tonight. Thank you for your help.

You are very welcome. Hopefully that is the case, and he just has an upset stomach that will resolve by tomorrow. Let me know if you have any other questions.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Dr. John