Cat Veterinary

Have Cat Questions? Ask a Cat Vet Online.

Ask a Cat Veterinarian,

My cat is two years old and I have never noticed any

Hi my cat is two...
Hi my cat is two years old and I have never noticed any drooling before until last night. We were making a brine for a turkey and spilled it on the floor. There were small pieces of bay leaves in the liquid. I didn’t specifically seem him eat them, but about half an hour after the spill I noticed him excessively drooling. He has been drooling on and off since last night. Could this have anything to do with it? The only thing in it that I think could have affected him were the bay leaves or large amount of salt in it. He has FLUTD so I hate to bring him to the vet and stress him out if it is in-necessary.
He is eating and acting fine otherwise.
11/24/2017
Dr. Gabby
Dr. Gabby, Cat Veterinarian

Hello. My name is***** am happy to help you with your question. Give me just a moment to respond and type.

T​he two most likely causes of the drooling are nausea or mouth pain. Will he let you look in his mouth with a flashlight to see if there is any redness, a loose or broken tooth, or something stuck? Is he drooling non-stop this evening? He has eaten his usual amount today? Is he drinking as usual and passing urine as usual?

All looks normal inside his mouth. He just ate a whole bowl of wet food. He isn’t drooling when he’s walking around but when he lays something for more than like 10 minutes there will be drool dripping or a small puddle of drool next to him. As far as I know he is passing urine as normal, we have two cats so it’s difficult to know for sure.
There is some redness on his gums around his k9 teeth but I have always noticed that. Nothing more than usual.

O​kay thank you. It does not sound like nausea if he is eating that well. If he had an issue swallowing where he could not swallow his saliva then he would not be able to swallow his food that well.

It could be dental pain as a tooth root abscess is possible. You would not be able to see that because it would be under the gums.

Right that’s what I figured. If it was a tooth issue that could happen out of no where like this? And what does a vet do for that?

I​ asked if he was drooling non-stop because if he was he would become dehydrated and I would tell you to take him to the ER tonight. But it sounds like it is just when he is laying down so I think you would be fine to wait until morning.

T​he vet would look in his mouth. An antibiotic could be tried. If the vet thinks it is necessary an x-ray of the teeth could be taken to check the tooth roots. He is only two years old so a tooth root abscess is not likely either.

How would I know if he was dehydrated? He isn’t drooling non stop. A few times since last night there was a significant amount but more drops than anything.

Unless maybe it is under the canine teeth if there is redness around the gumline.

If he were dehydrated he would be lethargic and his gums would feel dry to the touch. You can also pull up on the skin between his should blades and it should go right back into place. If it goes down slowly then he is dehydrated.

I think the bay leaves and brine could cause nausea but he is not nauseous enough to stop him from eating well.

If you have any stomach acid reducers like 10 mg Pepcid ac or 75 mg Zantac you could do a little test and give him 1/4 of a tablet. If he stops drooling in 1-2 hours then he was drooling because of waves of nauseas.

If he is still drooling after the stomach acid reducer then it has to be something like mouth pain.

I should also mention if they have moderate nasal congestion due to a cold they often drool. But he is not having respiratory signs so I doubt that is it.

Did all of that make sense to you? Do you have any other questions I may assist you with at this time?

I don’t have either of this medicines to give him at the moment. How long could he stay nauseous for he couldn’t have injested much at all. Could a bay leaf have scratch his mouth or throat?
are you leaning towards thinking he could have a tooth issue? If he’s still drooling a little tomorrow should I bring him to the vet?

Y​es, a bay leaf could have scratched his mouth or throat. I would say he should not be nauseous longer than 48 hours. Yes, if he is still drooling tomorrow bring him to the vet. If possible take some pictures or make a video of the drooling. Because what may happen is you take him to the vet and the drooling is magically cured by adrenaline of the car ride temporarily

Okay I have been taking some pictures of it. Wouldnt tooth pain make him stop eating though?

N​ot necessarily because he could chew on the other side of his mouth. Like we do with a toothache.

Okay thank you for your help. If he’s still drooling tomorrow I’ll take him to the vet

You are very welcome. Hopefully he will be back to normal by morning : )

Dr. Gabby
Dr. Gabby, Cat Veterinarian
Hi Abbey,

I'm just following up on our conversation about Oliver. How is everything going?

Dr. Gabby