Cat Veterinary

Have Cat Questions? Ask a Cat Vet Online.

Ask a Cat Veterinarian,

My cat is having a skin condition. It started looking lIke…

Customer Question
My cat is having...

My cat is having a skin condition.

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. What is wrong with your cat?

It started looking lIke mites .... but it has become red and irritated with spores and leaves her hairless in chunks of hair for filling out

Veterinarian's Assistant: There are all sorts of infestations your cat can pick up. I'll have you talk to the Veterinarian who'll sort out what is wrong and help you decide what to do about it. What is the cat's name and age?

It is in her ears around her ear and her tail worse that you

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about your cat?

She has had it off and on over the years we’ve tested her for everything keeps coming back nothing is showing up to be conclusive

Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Cat Veterinary
11/24/2017
Cat Veterinarian: Dr. Meghan Denney, Cat Veterinarian replied 4 months ago
Dr. Meghan Denney
Dr. Meghan Denney, Cat Veterinarian

Hi I am Dr. Denney. I am currently reviewing your post now. Please give me a few minutes to type my response. Thank you for trusting us with your question. This service is used for general information only and is no substitute for a veterinarian patient relationship by examination.

Just so I know what has been done to help diagnose this and what you haven't I am going to list off the tests that I would recommend and then let me know which ones you have done. Some testing needs to be repeated like when checking for mites sometimes it requires multiple repeats of the diagnostics.

I also sometimes will treat for mites because I have a strong suspicion for it even when not finding it with my testing.

1. Mange ( mites that over grow in the skin that liver naturally and just over populate called demodex) Treatment is not with a topical called Bravecto applied every 12 weeks and using it twice so a total of 24 weeks of treatment. This ensures even if I didn't find the mites if they are there I am getting rid of them

- diagnostics for skin mites are skin scrapes in multiple places and looking for the mites on the microscope scope slides, often I will recheck this if I really think they are there but I am not finding them.

But like I said you can go ahead and treat for them with the Bravecto twice, which is a flea and tick topical feline preventative This also ensures that flea bite hypersensitivity is not a factor as well

Other diagnostics are skin biopsies checking for cancer or auto immune conditions both of which can be really difficult to treat if we do not have a clear diagnosis and the auto immune can be recurrent

With her ears being affected she may have an ear infection +/- an allergy or mites etc and we need to address both. Some cats will get recurrent ear infections which need to be managed

Cats can also get food allergies which can present like this so considering a diet trial with a prescription food called Hydrolyzed protein ( a good on is from Royal Canin) diet trials can be frustrating because they take 10-12 weeks to see a response an require strict diet control with nothing but their food being fed.

If these have been tried then it may be time to consider taking her into a Veterinarian Dermatologist Specialist to get to the bottom of this. Cats and dogs can get rare diseases that are difficult to diagnose with a general practitioner veterinarian and it may be time to bring in the big gun specialist.

Sometimes ringworm can present like this so a fungal culture should be considered as well if you have not done so already

Skin culture as well to check for resistant bacteria as the cause should also be considered if not done already

I hope this helps guide you on next steps recurrent skin issues can really be frustrating for both pet owner and veterinarian because so many diseases can occur and then recur and the testing over and over again gets tiresome.

If this was helpful I would be most appreciative if you could take the time to rate my assistance so the site will credit me with helping you

Without a rating (the stars at the top) the site will not compensate me for helping you.

I am also here for additional questions you may have just reach out to me here and I will be more than happy to assist you.

Kind regards,

Dr. Meghan Denney

This Content is not intended to be a substitute for a professional veterinary exam, diagnostics, diagnosis, or treatment. Always seek the advice of your attending veterinarian with any questions you may have regarding a medical condition of a pet.

Dr. Meghan Denney
Dr. Meghan Denney
Dr. Meghan Denney, Cat Veterinarian