Cat Veterinary

Have Cat Questions? Ask a Cat Vet Online.

Ask a Cat Veterinarian,

10 year old cat diagnosed with renal lymphoma. Stopped

10 year old cat...

10 year old cat diagnosed with renal lymphoma. Stopped eating, barely drinks and constipated. Very weak and almost stumble when walking. Prescribed prednisone 3 days ago but so far no change seen. What to do?

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'm sorry to hear that. Did the cat have a fall?

No.

Veterinarian's Assistant: The Expert will ask you more detailed questions to find out what is causing this. It might be a fracture. The Expert will know what to do. What is the cat's name?

Miracle. She's indoor only.

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Miracle?

2 months ago given convenient shots for utilities but deteriorated fast.

Answered in 1 hour by:
11/23/2017
Dr. Joey
Dr. Joey, Board Certified

Hello I am Dr. Joey. Thanks for asking your question and trusting me to help you and your pet today. I am a licensed veterinarian with over 17 years of experience. I am so sorry to hear Miracle has renal lymphoma.

Renal lymphoma is most likely to respond to chemotherapy in comparison to any other form of treatment (surgery, radiation). However, us of a single drug like prednisone (or corticosteroid injections as it sounds like might've been done when initially diagnosed in the beginning) alone is unlikely to work well. If we do get a response it's going to be only for a few weeks to months. Usually multi-drugs (chemotherapeutics) used in the beginning are the best chance to get some sort of improvement for a longer period of time; but even with this we cannot expect longer than 4-8 months. IN many cases I find owners do not want to do chemotherapy and therefore it is elected to try prednisolone as it may cause a mild amount of improvement for a short time. Usually we see improvement ,if it's going to happen, within the first week.

At this point being that she was diagnosed 2months ago and it is no longer responding to prednisolone, then there is probably not a rebound drug that can be added to expect any improvement. :( This is the problem with lymphoma: the tumor becomes resistant to most types of chemotherapeutic drugs after pred is used for 10-14 days. So you are into palliative care at this point, which is trying treat her signs and see if we can help her feel better. You can speak with your vet about hydration (I hope you are doing subcutaneous fluid therapy at home already as this can help cats with the renal failure associated with the tumor to feel better). Secondarily this helps the constipation which is a symptom of dehydration (which is associated with kidney failure). There is medication that can help her nausea as well.

Sadly, and unfortunately, though we may not be able to improve her tremendously. IF we can get her eating and seeming to be non panful (not constipated) with fluid therapy at home and oral medications for nausea and possibly other drugs to treat the problems associated with renal disease, then this is good.

I really am so sorry to not be able to provide any extremely optimistic suggestions. However, if she is very dehydrated and lethargic then you need to have her seen today or tomorrow to discuss options.

I am at a point I need to know what questions you have. I hope that the information I provided has been helpful.

Please let me know if for any reason you need further clarification, have more questions, or were expecting a different type of answer.

If you received all the information you needed, then please take a moment to submit a rating. See you again soon!

Dr. Joey
Dr. Joey, Board Certified