Cat Veterinary

Have Cat Questions? Ask a Cat Vet Online.

Ask a Cat Veterinarian,

It's a kitten 10 weeks- just booking to get him his first…

It's a kitten 10...

It's a kitten 10 weeks- just booking to get him his first round of shots. He has been dewormed by prev owner. He seems happy and frisky, purring, but he had diarrhea this am and I noticed some mucus looking blood streaks in it..worried

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'm sorry to hear that. What is the kitten's name?

He has been eating a lot though Ringo

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about the kitten?

He a polydactyl! he is pretty healthy looking- bright eyes having a ball with my two other grown cats!

11/23/2017
Dr. Bruce, Veterinarian

Hello, I'm Dr. Bruce. I have over 17 years of experience as a veterinarian and I'd like to help. Please give me a moment to review your concerns.

I love the polydactyl cats! They just always seem to have such big personalities. That is great that the grown cats and him are getting along so well. Is he eating and drinking well? Could he have had a new food or treat in the past day or so?

he seems happy and frisky. that extra toe makes him a good climber! I am worried that maybe my family is over feeding him. not sure how much wet and dry he should get at each feeding. he has dry food out and water. but he is digging into those little cans. 2 a day. is that too much wet food?
can that cause loose stools with the muscus blood spot I saw this am in the litter box?
did I lose our connection?

I have never had a polydactyl cat, but I've always wondered how it would help them being more "vertical'. More than likely it isn't too much food for him. What is a very common cause of loose stool with kittens / cats is them eating something new that just throws their intestinal tract off. If different flavors / varieties of the wet food are being fed, then that would be a very suspect cause. Overall, what you're seeing shouldn't be overly alarming as far as warranting a trip to the ER clinic. If he's active, eating well, and being social - this may start to get better on its own when his diet is more consistent. Some can have a bacterial overgrowth that needs to be treated, but that can be done in a few days if he's not getting better.

Sorry for that delay as I got pulled away for a second.

What will be a good thing to do is to make sure to bring a fresh stool sample with you to that vaccine visit so they can screen for any intestinal parasite / coccidia / giardia issue.

okay- I am pretty sure my husband said he did pick up a different kitten brand wet food.I'll tell him to stick to one brand! thank you. The kitten doesn't even seem dehydrated, and has water available in every room!
I'll keep an eye on him today for any changes. thanks for the reassurance!

Wholly extremely cute! He's a gorgeous little guy. Can see how he'd quickly catch any owners heart. Give him a good petting for me since I can't! I sincerely ***** ***** I have helped you, and that I have earned my 5 star rating today! Please remember to rate my service by selecting the 5 stars at the top of the screen ( rating me now does not close your question). We can continue here until you are satisfied, simply use the reply box and let me know. Thank you! Have a great Thanksgiving!

Dr. Bruce, Veterinarian
thanks! our Canadian thanksgiving is over- but blessings to you and yours!

Thank you for the warm wishes! I love my annual trips to Canada! I go with family and friends canoeing in the Quetico National Park in Ontario. It is so peaceful and beautiful there!

We live right on Rouge Valley- it's a short drive to downtownToronto. it's Canada's first urban National Park! If you get a chance to canoe there- I can wave to you from my back window Dr. Bruce. Lol- I just looked over at Ringo. He is sleeping on my husband's laptop keyboard what a character! Thanks for your help today.

I love National Parks! They are always so wonderful to explore. I'll put that one on the list of things to do one of these days! Ringo is going to win over a lot of hearts with his personality!

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?
All good- he has his appointment for vaccines today!

I'm glad that Ringo is doing good!!! Hopefully the vaccines appointment goes well. Some don't mind them a bit while others can be a little unsure of what is really going on!