Cat Veterinary

Have Cat Questions? Ask a Cat Vet Online.

Ask a Cat Veterinarian,

My cat hasn’t been eating. He had a vet checkup on Monday,

Hi, my cat hasn’t...

Hi, my cat hasn’t been eating. He had a vet checkup on Monday, no vaccines or blood work just a thermometer. The vet gave him a clean bill of health and everything was fine. He behaved normally on Tuesday. Yesterday morning he ate a little of his breakfast. He spit up about 2-3 hours later (no food came up) and hasn’t eaten since. He’s been sleeping most of the time, not engaging in much. He purrs when I sit next to him and the last time I saw him use the bathroom was last night. He ate 2 little treats this morning but was disinterested in his wet food. He only eats wet food so he doesn’t drink much water usually.

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'm sorry to hear that. The Expert will know if your cat will be able to digest that. What is the cat's name and age?

His name is ***** ***** he’s 7

11/23/2017
Dr. Meghan Denney
Dr. Meghan Denney, Cat Veterinarian

Hi I am Dr. Denney. I am currently reviewing your post now. Please give me a few minutes to type my response. Thank you for trusting us with your question. This service is used for general information only and is no substitute for a veterinarian patient relationship by examination.

Any more vomiting today or just not eating?

Do you have any chicken broth we can warm up and offer it to him?

Any chance that Bjorn ate something he should not have like a string or hair tye?

He hasn’t vomited today. We’ll try some chicken broth. He hasn’t eaten any string or anything to my knowledge

The difficult thing with cats is that if they go more than a day or so without eating their livers start to get inflamed and they develop a condition called fatty liver ( hepatic lipidosis) which is really difficult to reverse and gets expensive to treat.

We need to consider getting him to an emergency clinic for an exam and some injections to settle his stomach and also maybe running some blood work and make sure that this is not an inflammatory condition involving the liver, pancreas, gall bladder, kidneys etc.

You can also try some chicken baby food or canned chicken to try and get him eating.

I am also worried about the hydration aspect because this may just be a stomach upset that will resolve on its own but if he gets dehydrated that will delay resolution and could result in him getting much more ill.

Dr. Meghan Denney
Dr. Meghan Denney, Cat Veterinarian

Do you have any Pepsid at home we can try to get down him? If you get me his approximate weight I can get you a dose

Pepsid is generally 0.5mg per pound so if he is 8 lbs his dose is about 4mg so 1/4 of a 10mg tablet approximately. You can dose the Pepsid every 12 hours.

If you are able to get him seen by a veterinarian today I would do so. Even if it is just for some fluids under his skin and injections to settle his stomach until we can get him to his regular veterinarian.

If he will drink the chicken broth that is good news and you can afford to wait and monitor him for the day, but you cannot get anything down him I would really recommend getting him seen.

I do not want him to worsen.

Good luck with Bjorn

If this was helpful I would be most appreciative if you could take the time to rate my assistance so the site will credit me with helping you

Without a rating (the stars at the top) the site will not compensate me for helping you.

I am also here for additional questions you may have just reach out to me here and I will be more than happy to assist you.

Kind regards,

Dr. Meghan Denney

This Content is not intended to be a substitute for a professional veterinary exam, diagnostics, diagnosis, or treatment. Always seek the advice of your attending veterinarian with any questions you may have regarding a medical condition of a pet.

Hi Lauren,

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Dr. Meghan Denney