Cat Veterinary

Have Cat Questions? Ask a Cat Vet Online.

Ask a Cat Veterinarian,

My male cat is 16 years old. lately he has taken to meowing…

Customer Question
My male cat is...

My male cat is 16 years old. lately he has taken to meowing loudly for no apparent reason and is defecating in the house (his litter box is out on the porch, he knows to go to the front door to get out) In sisteen years he has never behaved like this.

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'm sorry to hear that. What is the cat's name?

Ulysses

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Ulysses?

His behavior seems agitated and erratic. He runs around the house for no apparent reason.

Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Cat Veterinary
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call.
Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
11/23/2017
Cat Veterinarian: Rebecca, Cat Veterinarian replied 8 months ago
Rebecca, Cat Veterinarian

Thank you for using Just Answer. My name is Rebecca; I am a veterinarian. Please give me a moment to type my answer.

I am sorry to hear about these changes in Ulysses's behavior. I would be happy to help, but I can't make calls for the website. Let me know if you would like to continue in this format.

I see you have been waiting for a Just Answer expert. I just came online and saw your question; let me know if you would like to continue with me.

please continue
No, thank you
from no response am I to understand this chat is ended?

Sorry, stepped away a moment to feed the cats!

The first thing I would check for is hyperthyroidism in a cat this age.

This is a condition seen in older cats that makes them vocalize more, and can affect blood pressure and behavior.

It is a simple blood test to check for, and there is a treatment: medication (pill, transdermal gel, liquid, and/or special diet).

A good physical exam by your veterinarian : listening to the heart and lungs, palpating lymph nodes and internal organs, and checking blood pressure, may also be helpful.

Cat Veterinarian: Rebecca, Cat Veterinarian replied 7 months ago

I did not hear from you. How is Ulysses doing?

Was this helpful; can I answer anything else?

Kindly consider rating my answer, to notify the website I am assisting you!