Cat Veterinary

Have Cat Questions? Ask a Cat Vet Online.

Ask a Cat Veterinarian,

Why does my cat stick his tongue out?

Customer Question
Why does my cat stick his tongue out?
Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Cat Veterinary
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call.
Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Ralphy Boy is drinking a lot of water.
11/23/2017
Cat Veterinarian: Dr. Beth, Cat Veterinarian replied 4 months ago
Dr. Beth
Dr. Beth, Cat Veterinarian

Hi, I'm Dr. Beth and I'll do my best to help you today! To make sure I don't miss anything, please give me a moment to review your question - I am not the fastest typist so it may take me a few moments to type out a response.

Thank you for trusting us with your questions, this service is used for general information only and is not a substitute for a veterinarian patient relationship by examination.

I apologize, I have no reception where I am at tonight but can continue the chat if you would like, or I can opt out if you would like to wait for another expert to call-

How old is Ralphy Boy?

There are several reasons cats may stick their tongue out (I think my girl does it just to be cute and get extra treats!)-

Some cats can naturally seem to do it when they are relaxed; if they are in the midst of grooming sometimes the little barbs on their tongue could temporarily get caught on their tiny front teeth.

For some cats that have lost their front teeth, sometimes their tongue can hang out a bit because the teeth are not there to hold it in. If their front teeth have fallen out, that is a concern that other teeth could be affected in their mouth. They aren't always good about letting mom or dad look in there, so if there is any question it never hurts to have a check up in person with your regular vet.

Does that help?

I was watching a cat show on T.V. and he said sticking their tongue out is a sign of another condition or sickness. He is also constantly cleaning himself and now the hair around his hind end is very thin. This is all very unusual for him. His teeth are all good.He doesn't have his tongue out all the time, just occasionally. He is also drinking a lot more water than ever before,so It has to be something other than missing teeth.
I would say if the things you are seeing that seem different, I would be most concerned about increased thirst- they may be 3 separate things, but the most common causes for increased water intake in cats are kidney disease and diabetes. Many cats won’t act sick until they are in a crisis.It does not sound like you are in an emergency situation for what he is doing right now, but ideally I would try to get him in for a full check up with your regular vet within the next week.
of the things

If you have any other questions, please don't hesitate to ask.

If the information I've provided has been helpful, I hope you'll take a moment to rate my service positively by clicking on the star rating system (or if you are not seeing the stars you can leave a written rating of 1-5, 5 being great service). Until you issue a rating of 3 or better, the website will not compensate me for helping you, and taking the time to answer these questions helps me to support my family. You'll still be able to chat with me even after giving a rating, at no further charge on this thread. My goal is to give you 5 star service - keep in mind you are rating only my help, not any site or interface issues you might have. It is valuable feedback for me and for other pet owners as they seek help for their pets.

If you'd like to request me in the future for pet-related questions, you can do so by accessing this page: https://www.justanswer.com/veterinary/expert-drbethg/?rpt=3800

Dr. Beth
Dr. Beth
Dr. Beth, Cat Veterinarian