Cat Veterinary

Have Cat Questions? Ask a Cat Vet Online.

Ask a Cat Veterinarian,

Cat Veterinary

My 6 month old kitten has developed a bloated stomach almost

overnight. He was very active...
My 6 month old kitten has developed a bloated stomach almost overnight. He was very active and playful last night and today he is somewhat more mellow although he is still eating and drinking. He did have one bowel movement today, however he seemed to be having trouble with it and it was a very soft, light brown. Other than that he has no other symptoms.
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. What is the kitten's name?
Customer: Strummer
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Strummer?
Customer: No. I only adopted him and his twin brother three weeks ago. His brother seems to be fine.
11/23/2017
Dr B
Dr B, Cat Veterinarian

HI this is DRB and I would be happy to help you with this...

this sounds like intestinal parasitism....

have you been to your vet yet?

I would be thinking roundworms, hookworms, etc...

Customer reply replied 24 days ago
The lady that I adopted the kittens from came over today and almost wrote it off entirely as FIP. I am very worried because he looks as if he is pregnant, however he seems to be eating and drinking like usual. My older cat experienced the same intestinal problem several years ago, however he never became bloated like this.

Are they purebred?

so FIP possible for sure....especially if purebred...

Customer reply replied 24 days ago
No they are not purebred. They are 6 month old male shorthairs. He seems to be fine except his struggling to use his litter box and his stomach looking the way it does. His other two brothers are fine.

That kitten will have to have an abdominal tap and fecal checks...

I would get him to your vet by Friday....

Customer reply replied 24 days ago
Ok. I have an appointment set up Friday morning due to the holiday.

That sounds great......can I answer any other questions?

Customer reply replied 24 days ago
Is there anything I should look for from now until Friday morning?

Yes, vomiting, lack of appetite or yellow look in the whites of the eyes....if you see any of this go to the vet ER....

any other questions tonight?

Customer reply replied 24 days ago
Ok. I haven't noticed any of those just yet. I'm praying its not FIP! Thank you for your help.

sure...feel free to come back and ask other questions as this question will stay open for several days....Sincerely, DRB

I sincerely ***** ***** I have helped you, and that I have earned my 5 star rating today! Please remember to rate my service by selecting the 5 stars at the top of the screen (rating me now does not close your question). We can continue here until you are satisfied, simply use the reply box and let me know.

Please remember my answers do not replace or supersede the advice of your veterinarian as my answers do not create a valid client patient relationship as I am unable to examine your pet. Thank you very much! DrB

Dr B
Dr B, Cat Veterinarian
I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?
Dr B
Customer reply replied 20 days ago
I brought him into the vet on Friday morning and he ultimately tested positive for FIP. I had no choice but to put him down.

I am really truly sorry to hear this. I am very sorry for your loss......DRB

Customer reply replied 20 days ago
Thank you very much.

you bet....better luck with your next baby.....

Customer reply replied 20 days ago
Thank you.

take care.....

Dr B
Dr B
Dr B, Cat Veterinarian