Cat Veterinary

Have Cat Questions? Ask a Cat Vet Online.

Ask a Cat Veterinarian,

Cat Veterinary

My kitty started the methimazole 5mg past three weeks. She

is vomiting small bits, lethargic...
my kitty started the methimazole 5mg past three weeks. She is vomiting small bits, lethargic and not eating. Seems depressed. She returns next week for check. I would like to stop this or cut it in half maybe try the topical. What is your recommendation. She is 15.
11/23/2017
Dr. Beth
Dr. Beth, Cat Veterinarian

Hi, I'm Dr. Beth and I'll do my best to help you today! To make sure I don't miss anything, please give me a moment to review your question - I am not the fastest typist so it may take me a few moments to type out a response.

Thank you for trusting us with your questions, this service is used for general information only and is not a substitute for a veterinarian patient relationship by examination.

I'm sorry Annie is having tummy troubles - in my 13 year career, 5 years was treating just cats so I have dealt with quite a few kitties with this problem.

Are they having you give the medication once a day or twice a day? Are you giving it in food?

Customer reply replied 26 days ago
2x 5 mg in a pill pocket

Ok perfect. And she just started the medication for the first time about 3 weeks ago?

Customer reply replied 26 days ago
she them up 2x last hour
Customer reply replied 26 days ago
threw up

Awww poor girl :(

It is certainly possible that she may be one of the ones that does not tolerate the medication orally, but may do fine going to a transdermal form where we bypass the stomach and it gets absorbed through the skin. If that is all we need to change, usually the vomiting will resolve pretty quickly.

If you try a transdermal formula and the vomiting persists, there could be other unrelated factors such as a bout of pancreatitis or inflammatory bowel issues.

If her thyroid is very high and not being controlled with medication, they can sometimes progress to having vomiting issues. Or if their thyroid becomes normal with medication, but their kidney values start climbing, that can also cause nausea.

I know you said you have an appointment next week, but if she is not keeping the medication down, we may not have the most accurate view of what this dose of medication is doing for her.

I am betting your vet will be closed for the holiday, but they may be back open on Friday - I think it would be worthwhile to call them to let them know what you have been seeing, and ask about getting a prescription through a compounding pharmacy in the transdermal form.

Customer reply replied 26 days ago
Hummm she is a really good eater, does not throw up and it's been since this medication she has started these symptoms. Is it okay to stop until sees her doctor for the transdermal try?
Customer reply replied 26 days ago
Okay -I will call on Friday. I think I may stop this until that time.

Honestly if it were my cat, yes I would stop it until I could get the transdermal, being off of it for a few days should not throw her into a tail spin. Your vet could potentially say they have to see her first, to make sure not some other complication, but hopefully they would just ok the prescription for you in the alternate form.

I hope that helps - if you have any other questions, please don't hesitate to ask.

If the information I've provided has been helpful, I hope you'll take a moment to rate my service positively by clicking on the star rating system (or if you are not seeing the stars you can leave a written rating of 1-5, 5 being great service). Until you issue a rating of 3 or better, the website will not compensate me for helping you, and taking the time to answer these questions helps me to support my family. You'll still be able to chat with me even after giving a rating, at no further charge on this thread. My goal is to give you 5 star service - keep in mind you are rating only my help, not any site or interface issues you might have. It is valuable feedback for me and for other pet owners as they seek help for their pets.

If you'd like to request me in the future for pet-related questions, you can do so by accessing this page: https://www.justanswer.com/veterinary/expert-drbethg/?rpt=3800

Customer reply replied 26 days ago
helpful and kind!

You're welcome - I've had quite a few cats do great on the meds, but just needed to be in the transdermal form - hopefully that will be all Annie needs.

Dr. Beth
Dr. Beth, Cat Veterinarian
Customer reply replied 26 days ago
helpful and kind
Dr. Beth
Dr. Beth
Dr. Beth, Cat Veterinarian