Cat Veterinary

Have Cat Questions? Ask a Cat Vet Online.

Ask a Cat Veterinarian,

How much will a question cost me? So it may be cheaper to go…

Customer Question
How much will a...

How much will a question cost me?

Veterinarian's Assistant: It can cost anywhere from $10 to $100, depending on the type of issue and how much of the Veterinarian's time your question is expected to take (how complex and lengthy an answer you require).

So it may be cheaper to go to my vets

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. What seems to be the problem with the cat?

I think she has laryngitus, all 3 cats lost their voice, 2 seem fine but one of them is very quiet and keeps doing a strange yawn/retch thing like she is trying to get something out of her throat.

Veterinarian's Assistant: Where does the cat seem to hurt?

See last reply

Veterinarian's Assistant: Can you see anything that looks wrong or different?

See last reply

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is the cat eating normally?

Yes

Veterinarian's Assistant: OK. No appetite problems. Is the cat having trouble peeing or pooing?

Not that i am aware of

Veterinarian's Assistant: How is the cat behaving differently?

She is quiet, seems a bit miserable and does the strange thing i descibed above

Veterinarian's Assistant: What is the cat's name and age?

Bagpuss, 10yr old

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about the cat?

This has been going on for 3/4 days, one of the other cats seems to be getting her voice back and the other one is still a bit hoarse but happy in herself, its just Bagpuss that i am worried about.

Submitted: 5 months ago.Category: Cat Veterinary
11/23/2017
Cat Veterinarian: PitRottMommy, Veterinary Nurse replied 5 months ago
PitRottMommy
PitRottMommy, Veterinary Nurse

Hello, JACustomer. I have been a Veterinary Nurse for over 15 years and would be happy to help you today. I'm reviewing your question right now.

Can you share a video of the episodes you're seeing?

She has only done it a couple of times today that i have seen, i obviously cant watch her 24/7 so getting a video will be tricky as i have no idea when she will do it next, but i will video if i can. She has seemed a little happier today.

Can you describe the episode to me?

She has lost her voice, as did two of my other cats. She seems a bit quiet and not quite herself but is still eating and drinking normally and doesnt look distressed but every now and then she opens her mouth a bit like she is yawning and makes a kind of eck noise , looks like a cross between a cough and a retch it lasts all of a second or 2 then she will licks her lips and looks like she swallows a few times , this has happened when she is just sitting and once i saw after she had a drink, but seems ok when she eats.

This sounds like it may be either related to nausea or a hairball. Is she still eating and drinking well? do you use any hairball remedy regularly? any coughing?

No there has been no coughing, she is eating and drinking normally, the food she has is meant to help with hairballs. Is there nothing else that can cause cats to lose their voice.....its odd that all 3 have gone croaky and lost their voice within a couple of weeks.

It is very strange that all three have experienced this at the same time, but we can certainly see this with the change in seasons, when owners begin using heaters (or AC in the warmer months) or fireplace, etc. It may help all of them to boil a pot of water on the stove to raise the humidity and help to rehydrate any dry respiratory membranes which might be dry. Chronic issues with the loss or change of vocalization, particularly in a cat over 10 years of age, should be investigated as a suspect thyroid condition. If a thyroid condition did exist, this might explain the episode you're seeing, as well. With the yawn/retch you're seeing an enlarged thyroid could make swallowing more difficult and might also make it feel like there was something stuck in the throat, even if there is not. You would not be wrong to seek an examination for Bagpuss to have your vet evaluate the mouth and throat. At home, if you have any laxatone at home, I would go ahead and give her a dose just in case hairballs may be playing a part in the symptoms. The laxatone may also help pull anything down to the stomach which might be causing irritation.

If she develops any additional symptoms which might suggest another condition, for example if you see vomiting, you can use this same link to reach back out to me at no additional charge.

I hope this information has been helpful. I will be standing by if you have other questions. Let me know if I can help further. Also, before signing off today, please take the time to use the star rating system at the top of the page to leave a rating for me (bottom of the page if using the app). A 5-star rating is appreciated as top notch answers are my focus. If you feel you have received anything less, please reply so that I may help until you’ve received the assistance you need. Until you issue a rating, the website will not compensate me for helping you. You will still be able to chat with me even after issuing a rating at no further charge on this thread.

I will also check in with you over the next few days to be sure you don’t need any additional assistance. If you would like to request me in the future for pet-related questions, you can do so by accessing this page: http://www.justanswer.com/pet/expert-pitrottmommy/?rpt=3800

Cat Veterinarian: PitRottMommy, Veterinary Nurse replied 4 months ago

Checking in. How is your girl doing today?

PitRottMommy
PitRottMommy
PitRottMommy, Veterinary Nurse