Cat Veterinary

Have Cat Questions? Ask a Cat Vet Online.

Ask a Cat Veterinarian,

He went missing for 4 days came home injured ..took him to…

Customer Question
He went missing for...

He went missing for 4 days came home injured ..took him to my vet and he said fractured femur ...said it needs to be pined or to amputate !!!UGH...I dont want to put him through either can I splint it ,keep him confind and heal it that way?

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'm sorry to hear that. What is the cat's name?

Lucky

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Lucky?

He has feline aids he was a rescue I have had him 11 years so i dont know is actual age

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Cat Veterinary
11/22/2017
Cat Veterinarian: Dr. Denise, Cat Veterinarian replied 7 months ago
Dr. Denise
Dr. Denise, Cat Veterinarian

Hi. I’m Dr. Denise, a licensed veterinarian and I'd like to help. Please give me a moment while I review your concerns.

thank you
my card was charged and no one has called me

My apologies for the delay, my connection dropped, but I am back now.

I'm so sorry to hear that Lucky has been so severely injured.

Unfortunately, for a cat of his age and Feline AIDS status, a splint is not a viable option for a fractured femur.

Generally speaking, a surgical pin or amputation will reduce his pain faster and bring him to comfort faster.

Though it may be difficult to consider, cats recover very well from amputation surgeries and get around well on three legs.

My goal is to provide you with excellent service. If you have any follow-up questions don't hesitate to ask. If finished, please take a moment to rate my service. I would greatly appreciate your positive review (5 stars). Your review helps connect Experts with other customers so your input is highly appreciated, and it is the only way that I am compensated. Thank you!