Cat Veterinary

Have Cat Questions? Ask a Cat Vet Online.

Ask a Cat Veterinarian,

Cat Veterinary

She had diarrhea for several days. I changed her food to…

She had diarrhea for...

She had diarrhea for several days. I changed her food to boiled chicken breast which I grinded to a paste and the diarrhea stopped. But it's now been 4 days and she hasn't pooped. I'm glad the diarrhea stopped though. Would this be indicative of IBS? She has had blood work done this year and her numbers were normal. She also had an ultrasound of her stomach and it showed the small intestines had "thickened walls with poorly defined lining "

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'm sorry to hear that. What is the cat's name?

Bailey

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Bailey?

She is an older cat about 15 years old and has early stage kidney disease.

11/22/2017
Dr. Denise
Dr. Denise, Cat Veterinarian

Hi. I’m Dr. Denise, a licensed veterinarian. Welcome to JustAnswer! I’d like to help with your concerns regarding Bailey.

I'm sorry to hear that she hasn't been feeling well. It will be a few minutes while I type my response.

Ok

After a cat has experienced diarrhea for a few days, the GI tract can be completely emptied. It can be normal to take several days to produce a bowel movement once eating has resumed (especially from an all meat diet). Given that Bailey has early kidney disease, she may also be conserving extra water from her food to maintain her hydration). This delay to have a bowel movement would not raise my suspicion for IBD.

Her previous ultrasound findings may have identified an area of inflammation/thickening in the intestines. It is unfortunately impossible to definitively diagnose IBD with biopsy samples from the intestines.

Ok thanks very much

I would encourage you to mix extra water into her pureed chicken, and begin to slowly mix her regular diet back in. This will help to increase her water and fiber intake. If she does not have a bowel movement within the next 48hrs, then I would recommend that she be seen by her veterinarian.

Ok will do. Thanks again ��

You are very welcome. I wish you both all the best.

My goal is to provide you with excellent service. If you have any follow-up questions don't hesitate to ask. If finished, please take a moment to rate my service. I would greatly appreciate your positive review (5 stars). Your review helps connect Experts with other customers so your input is highly appreciated, and it is the only way that I am compensated. Thank you!

If you’d like to request me in the future for your pet-related questions, you can contact me at this page: https://www.justanswer.com/veterinary/expert-drdenise/?rpt=3800

Back to normal today! Thanks again
Excellent! So glad to hear it!
Dr. Denise
Dr. Denise, Cat Veterinarian
I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?
Dr. Denise
Dr. Denise
Dr. Denise
Dr. Denise, Cat Veterinarian