Cat Veterinary

Have Cat Questions? Ask a Cat Vet Online.

Ask a Cat Veterinarian,

The day before yesterday my 9 year old female had diaarhea…

Customer Question
The day before yesterday...

The day before yesterday my 9 year old female had diaarhea pretty bad, yesterday seemed perfectly normal, having normal stools. Seemed perfectly normal today, until this evening. She cries periodicall, has been in her potty box five times in quick succession, acting like she needs to stool but doesn't seem to be able to do so. She has squatted all over the house (which is totally contrary to her habits) seeming to again try to stool. The last two times two drops of liquid have released. She doesn't want to be picked up, again contrary to habit. But I got her picked up and got her on the counter to examine her. She is soiled in her back area, which I hadn't been able to see and has a fecal mass entwined in her long hair. Do I need to get her help before morning? She clearly is in deep distress.

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'm sorry to hear that. What sort of animal are we talking about?

I apologize, I didn't state cat, Ragdoll mix, nine years old

Veterinarian's Assistant: OK. The noise must be worrying. I'll connect you to the Veterinarian. Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Ragdoll?

Her name is ***** ***** she is normally up on my shoulder at least once every hour.....not that is important to you, just letting you know how distressed she is. She was constipated the on Sunday, the day before she had the diarrhea on Monday, but was fine yesterday and today until about two hours ago. I don't want to delay getting help if this sounds seriouss

Submitted: 5 months ago.Category: Cat Veterinary
11/22/2017
Cat Veterinarian: Dr. Beth, Cat Veterinarian replied 5 months ago
Dr. Beth
Dr. Beth, Cat Veterinarian

Hi, I'm Dr. Beth and I'll do my best to help you today! To make sure I don't miss anything, please give me a moment to review your question - I am not the fastest typist so it may take me a few moments to type out a response.

Thank you for trusting us with your questions, this service is used for general information only and is not a substitute for a veterinarian patient relationship by examination.

I'm sorry Puff isn't her usual self, it does sound like she is uncomfortable :(

Prior to these last few days, how would her stool usually look in the litter box, little nuggets or longer pieces?

Dr. Gary, Cat Veterinarian